Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice maker help needed

My ice maker went out in my side-by-side Whirlpool ED22ZR. It's about 18 years old so the ice maker gave me good service. So I went to a local appliance parts place that sold me a replacement and it worked fine after installation except that within a short time the activation wire fell into the cube bin and got all twisted up.

I'm not sure what else to call it, it's just a wire about the thickness of a coat hanger and I finally got it straightened out and re-installed but no position will make ice. If its up or down it wont make ice.

I think the unit is fine because the unit made plenty of ice with the wire out, as a matter of fact I had to empty the bin every other day for all the ice, but when I put the wire back in...nothing.

Any ideas?

The wire activates a switch inside the unit. Maybe there's a problem there?

You could check what sort of warranty if on the icemaker you bought. Maybe they'll replace it?

JMO

PS. The model number you posted for your refrigerator is incomplete.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Actually that is the complete model number. The refrig is 18 years old so I think the model number looks unusual because it is so old, but it works great.

With the wire in place the ice maker wont make ice at all, with the wire in any position. Pull it out and it wont stop making ice.

Cleraly there is a switch inside the unit but why the wire isnt triggering the switch properly is a mystery.

Comment

Actually that is the complete model number.
        Actually it is not. Here are some of the possible complete model numbers it might be. There might be other possibilities as well.

ED22ZRXAN00
        ED22ZRXAW00
        ED22ZRXBN00
        ED22ZRXBN01
        ED22ZRXBW00
        ED22ZRXBW01
        ED22ZRXDN00
        ED22ZRXDN01
        ED22ZRXDW00
        ED22ZRXDW01
        ED22ZRXXN00
        ED22ZRXXN01
        ED22ZRXXW00
        ED22ZRXXW01

Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag? That the only place the complete model number will usually be found.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

BTW. 18 years old is not very "old" in the appliance world.

Cleraly there is a switch inside the unit but why the wire isn't triggering the switch properly is a mystery.
        It would actually need to be looked into to determine why.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks,

I suppose I'll just figure it out or get an appliance guy by.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =