Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Supply to Oven

I installed a gas oven by tapping into my 1/2" water heater line and running about 7' of 1/2" line to my new 30" stove/oven.

However, the oven takes at least an hour to heat up to 450 degrees. It should take 15 minutes.

Is it possible that a 1/2" line does not deliver sufficient natural gas for an oven? The oven is 15 years old, but has been in storage for 14 of those years. The burner stays lit for well over an hour to "preheat" to 450 degrees. I'm using an external digital oven thermometer to check.

Thanks in advance for you help!

I installed a gas oven
    What make and model of appliance is this?

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

The burner stays lit for well over an hour to "preheat" to 450
    There are actual flames on the oven burner?

How big are those flames??

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the response, Dan.

The flames appear to extend out from both sides of the burner tube about two inches (on each side).

By the way, it's a Monkey Wards range made by Tappan.

Comment

A gas range usually has a 3/4" feed line, shut off valve and drip leg. a 1/2" double walled flex feeds the appliance. reason for the 3/4 is the cubic foot requirement for a supply. pressure is around 6 lb water column.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

All I have available on the east end of my house is the 1/2" water heater gas pipe. The meter is on the west side of my house.

So, do you believe that the problem is insufficient gas pressure? Would you suggest that I buy a tester such as a General Tools GPK015 Gas Pressure Test Kit to see if I have 6lb of pressure to the range?

I was hoping the problem was just the cheap range. If it'ws insufficient gas supply, then I have a bigger problem.....
          Last edited by OfficereEd; 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

gas pressure is measured by a 36 inch water column - not a direct read pressure gauge.
            go look up for a MANOMETER.

Comment

The GPK015 measures both direct pressure and "inches of water column." I also have an old mercury manometer (that's right, it has an ounce or so of mercury in it! Don't tell the EPA). I used it to test gas lines for city inpections (had to hold specified pressure for 24 hours).

Comment

that's good! so you ARE familiar with how to measure gas pressure. See what you can find for the requirements for that appliance and go from there.

Comment

The range is at least 15 years old. I don't think I can find specs for it. I was hoping someone here could tell me the usual gas pressure required for a gas range, and whether the 1/2' pipe I tied into from the water heater might be adequate. If not, I'm going to have to start cutting drywall and looking for a 3/4" pipe.

Comment

I went online and typed montgomery ward gas ranges and several sites came up. one even still has parts for one.

Comment

I don't plan to keep that range. I need to find out if I have sufficient gas delivery for a new "gourmet" range. I have no idea what that pressure - or "standard" pressure - might be.

Comment

does your building department allow you to do your own gas hookups? many towns don't! I'm located in rural and can hitch up my own propane appliances, but I have to get the pressure checked with a guy with a manometer. check with the building dept.

Comment

Originally posted by OfficereEd View Post
                          I installed a gas oven by tapping into my 1/2" water heater line and running about 7' of 1/2" line to my new 30" stove/oven.

However, the oven takes at least an hour to heat up to 450 degrees. It should take 15 minutes.

Is it possible that a 1/2" line does not deliver sufficient natural gas for an oven? The oven is 15 years old, but has been in storage for 14 of those years. The burner stays lit for well over an hour to "preheat" to 450 degrees. I'm using an external digital oven thermometer to check.

Thanks in advance for you help!
                          Sounds like i should jump in here a little. First you say this WH and range are on the east side of the house? and your nat. gas meter is on the west side of house. I would need to know the length of the gas? size of gas line, and are there any other things on this line? You can check the tag on your water heater. It would probable be about 45,000 BTU and a 4 burner range with oven could be 80to 90,000Btu. You are on Nat. gas Right? If you give me all this info i will check a gas flow chart for you. If you want to do some checking, take a top burner out so you can put your U tube on at that point.
                          Check pressure without water heater going or oven, then turn on oven and check, then turn on oven and water heater and check. Paul Ps your tester does test in inches of water column?
                          Because gas pressure coming into the house would only be about 7" which is less than 1/4 lb.
                          Last edited by paul52446m; 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, I am on natural gas and the meter is attached to the west wall of my house. The pipe that enters the house appears to be 3/4".

That 3/4" pipe is probably about 45' long. I say "probably" because I can't see it after it enters the wall at the meter.

About 15' in, a 1/2" tap goes up to the roof where my "gas-pack" refrigeration/furnace unit is.

The pipe then continues to the far east end of the house where my gas dryer is in the laundry room, and the water heater is on the other side of the wall in the storage room.

The water heater only runs when someone takes a shower. When the oven is taking and hour and a half to heat up to 450 degrees, neither the dryer nor the water heater are in use.

Edit: I just noticed that you are in Houghton,MI. I love that area! I was born in Muskegon and I caught my limit of salmon out of Ludington in 2006. I hope to be back there for a month or two this summer and fall.
                            Last edited by OfficereEd; 02-25-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I was hoping someone here could tell me the usual gas pressure required for a gas range
                              If the regulator is set for natural gas, inlet pressure must be at least 5 inches water column. If regulator has been converted for LP/Propane gas, inlet pressure must be at least 11 inches. The maximum inlet pressure to the regulator should be no more than 14 inches of water column pressure.

The flames appear to extend out from both sides of the burner tube about two inches
                              I don't know why the oven wouldn't be heating adequately with a burner flame as described.

JMO

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com
                              The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =