Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas smell in oven

Hi. Sorry if this has been covered already. I am new to the site and having trouble navigating, so may have missed threads. I have a 15-year old White Westinghouse gas oven. I recently replaced the ignitor on the bottom of the oven b/c it wasn't heating properly. Now it heats very well (almost too hot) but the house fills with a gas smell when the oven is on. There is no problem with the top-of-stove burners, and the smell isn't there when the oven is off, so I don't think it's a leak. I've almost never used the broiler, so I don't think that ignitor should be failing and causing excess gas to be released, plus the smell comes when the broiler isn't on anyway. Anyone have any ideas? The oven's worked pretty well in the past, and I can't really afford to replace it right now.
    Thanks for any help you can offer!

the broiler and oven are the same burner. the igniter has a definite resistance inline with the gas burner solenoid. if this resistance isn't met then the burner will not turn on. does the range have a pilot?

Comment

I have a 15-year old White Westinghouse gas oven
      I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

Originally posted by HayZee518
      the broiler and oven are the same burner.
      Not necessarily. Many models including self clean ones have separate bake and broil burners. We could find out for sure if we had the model number.

I recently replaced the ignitor on the bottom of the oven b/c it wasn't heating properly.
      What exactly do you mean by "wasn't heating properly"? What were the exact symptoms?

Now it heats very well (almost too hot)
      What makes you say that??

I recently replaced the ignitor... the house fills with a gas smell when the oven is on.
      Did you tamper with the burner itself in the process? Maybe the air venturi setting is now out of adjustment and the burner is not burning properly resulting in unburned gas and the odor?

How long exactly after the oven is turned on does it take for the burner to ignite?

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
      Last edited by Dan O.; 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I'm not sure what happened, but the smell seems to have disappeared! I've used the oven about 5 times since I replaced the ignitor, so is it possible that there was just a bubble in the line or something else weird that I don't know about that was causing the smell?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =