Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher leak

Greetings,

I joined this group after reading the excellent advice given to folks. I am a novice home repair dude with a Kitchen Aid Superba Selectra dishwasher model KUDA22ST. It is about 19 years old. It has suddenly started to put a small amount of water (from 1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup) out the right hand side of the base of the door when in the wash and rinse cycles. We have checked the lower wash arm for splits-none found, we have spun it by hand and it "seems" to be free-it does have a slight wobble but not enough to touch anything to stop it, we have checked the screws in the pump housing-all tight. We have checked the water level-this seems to be about 3/4" deep near the door about 1-3/4" deep in the center and about 3/4" over the heat coil and also seems to be the height of the float (in the left corner near the door) cut off level (is this the normal high water cut -off mechanism or is it supposed to be on a timer or other cutoff system?). The wife says this "seems" to be the same level it has always been. We removed the door and cleaned all parts of "gunk" and reassembled. It didn't leak the first time we ran it after that (but then she had removed all the water from the area around the pump and cleaned that) but did on subsequent times. The door gasket "seems" to be OK but has 19 years of time and use on it.

What other checks can I make or what other information can I provide?

Thanks,

George
    Last edited by Dan O.; 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM. Reason: corrected message title

Overfilling?

it does have a slight wobble but not enough to touch anything to stop it
    If it's not running tru it could be binding at times. It doesn't need to actually strike something for its rotation to be affected.

water level about 3/4" over the heat coil
    The water level should NOT usually be above the element, just slightly below it.

seems to be the height of the float
    Than it may be the float shutting off the fill rather than the controller. The control should stop the fill after a set amount of time. On most models the float is just a safety device to try to prevent flooding should the control fail to stop filling.

If the dishwasher IS overfilling, either the control may be defective (i think it fairly unlikely to malfunction in such way... although anything's possible) or the 'flow washer' in the water valve may be defective and allowing too much water to flow through it when powered by the control.

LINK > KitchenAid KUDA22ST Water Fill Valve

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks

Dan,

Thanks for your response. I will make a new bushing for the spray arm first and see what happens after that. Thanks for all your other suggestions which will be saved in case the bushing isn't the answer. I appreciated your help.

George

Comment

I will make a new bushing for the spray arm first
        I would suggest looking into the fill level first since that definitely doesn't sound right but that is up to whomever is doing the service.

Good luck!

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

Thanks. I am a better machinist than electrical dude so that is why I'm going with the bushing first. Also the wife says that the water level has been that high since we got the unit. Can you make an educated guess about the height difference between having the water shut off by the normal route or by the overfill float? If I can pull the float out I might try a test by timing the water fill as it is now and then pull the float and see if the water continues (briefly-I don't need a major flood) after that amount of time.

George

Comment

Can you make an educated guess about the height difference between having the water shut off by the normal route or by the overfill float?
            As I stated previously the fill height is usually to just below the heating element. The water is heated as it is sprayed on the element during operation. It is not a submersion element.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Valve

Dan,

After repairing the bushing the arm spins easily with no wobble and after the first cycle there was no leak but I'm now thinking that the water level may have always been too high. So what you are saying is that it's possible there was never a correct washer/restrictor in the valve. If I take the valve apart I believe you are saying that there should be a restrictor in the line so it only admits a small amount of water. It has always sounded like a train going through the kitchen when the water is added so this may never have been correct.

Thanks for continuing to help.

George

Comment

I'm now thinking that the water level may have always been too high.
                Or no one paid attention to it previously. The only time it would have been visible is if the door was opened in the middle of a wash cycle. I can't imagine that occurring very often.

I believe you are saying that there should be a restrictor in the line so it only admits a small amount of water.
                There is a 'flow washer' inside the valve that only allows a metered amount of water through it at a time. That flow washer could be damaged and allowing too much water through it.

You can see a water valve from another appliance brand and the alternate flow washers that can be installed in it. The flow washer for the valve on your model is not available separately and if needed the whole valve would have to be replaced.

LINK > Dishwasher Water Valve with Interchangeable Flow Washers

LINK > KitchenAid KUDA22ST Water Fill Valve

JFYI

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan, Thanks for continuing to help. Actually the wife often finds things that she adds to the dishwasher during the cycle so she has been very familiar with this water level since we got the machine.

If I was to nearly close the wall mounted incoming water valve to the dishwsher and then let it fill shouldn't that tell me whether the water level is being affected by the size of the opening in the contol valve? If the water level is significantly lower then the valve "washer" is defective. If not and it still fills to the present level then I probably have a problem with the "timing" unit?

George

Comment

If I was to nearly close the wall mounted incoming water valve to the dishwsher and then let it fill shouldn't that tell me
                    Possibly. It wouldn't hurt to try anyway.

The way a technician would likely do it would be to time the fill and compare that to the control's set fill time which should be stated in the dishwasher's 'tech sheet' which should accompany the unit's wiring diagram. If the fill time was not excessive than the valve would be suspect for causing the problem.

JMO

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dishwasher fix

Dan, After spending a lot of time trying to regulate the amount of water I started over. I pulled the front panels off and ran the dishwasher. The wife spotted water running down the door and passing behind the screw holes that hold the front panel in place. This water ran down behind the hinges and dripped from there onto the sloping bottom gasket and then out onto the lower front panel heading to the floor. No water came over the top of the drum. Carefully looking at the wet spots on the door we traced it clear to the top of the door. It turned out to be the gasket after all. Replaced same and leak solved. George

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =