Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maytag Quiet Series 100, having trouble with washing/spray arms.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Quiet Series 100, having trouble with washing/spray arms.

Hello. I am new here so please forgive me if I am reposting a question that has been here numerous times. The thing is, I am having issues with my Maytag Quiet Series 100 Dishwasher (Model# MDBF550AWB, Serial# 15287213CC). I went to start a load of dishes the other day (as normal) and it began filling with water. However, I noticed something strange when it should have started what I believe to be the spray cycle. It normally runs loud during this process, but the machine was just 'humming' (as someone else on these posts has stated). When I hit the 'Cancel' button, it starts to drain the water, as normal.

What I can't figure out is what could have caused this. I did hear some loud noise right before this started (the humming). When I emptied the dishwasher to wash the dishes the old-fashioned way (in the sink), I noticed that a coffee mug was chipped and had a chunk about 1/4 sq. missing. I thought that this piece might have lodged into something. I tried taking about the bottom of the dishwasher to see if there was anything there, and could not find anything.

PLEASE HELP!!!

It normally runs loud during [wash], but the machine was just 'humming'
    If it wasn't spraying than the main wash motor may not be running but instead just trying to run, resulting in the humming you hear.

I can't figure out is what could have caused this.
    The condition suggested above could be caused by a foreign object in the pump, jamming it or a problem with the wash pump motor itself.

LINK > Maytag MDBF550AWB Wash Pump Motor

LINK > Maytag MDBF550AWB Wash Pump Impeller and Seal Kit

When I hit the 'Cancel' button, it starts to drain the water, as normal.
    There is a separate pump and motor for draining on your model machine.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan O. However, I still can't determine what it is. I took the covers off in the bottom of the dishwasher and found the piece of the broken coffee mug. I took out the piece which was about 1/2" x 1". I thought that this would do the trick. However, it did not show any signs of improvement and/or change. The motor still seems to be 'humming' instead of running as normal. I notice that the spray arms are not spinning, if that might be a clue to anything else.

Sorry for the lack of terminology as far as the exact names of the pieces ('covers', etc.) but I do not know the names of all of the components.

Any bit of help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
      tkpopeye

Comment

found the piece of the broken coffee mug. I took out the piece. However, it did not show any signs of improvement and/or change. The motor still seems to be 'humming' instead of running as normal.
        Maybe you didn't get it all and there's more in there yet? Maybe the motor or a part of the pump was damaged in the process?

Can the motor shaft be turned manually? If not, the motor may be seized up and need to be replaced.

the spray arms are not spinning, if that might be a clue to anything else.
        The spray arms turn by the force of the water going through them, like a lawn sprinkler. If the pump isn't operating there will be no water pressure to turn the arms.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by tkpopeye View Post
          I am having issues with my Maytag Quiet Series 100 Dishwasher (Model# MDBF550AWB, I noticed something strange when it should have started what I believe to be the spray cycle. It normally runs loud during this process, but the machine was just 'humming' (as someone else on these posts has stated). When I hit the 'Cancel' button, it starts to drain the water, as normal.
          My QS100 is doing the same thing. Water fills during initial part of cycle... but then I hear a motor humming... but no water is being fed to the rotating bars. I have tried various types of washes (Normal, Light, Rinse Only) and have same results.

I have taken the "top" assembly off and cleaned all pieces... and the black rotating disk under all the top stuff is spinning freely.

And like the other person, the "draining" function is fine. Just no water to the rotating bars.

Suggestions? Time to call the repairman?

Comment

I had the same problem with mine. There is a long plastic nut that connects the pump impeller to the motor. A piece of glass jammed in the food grinder and stripped the nut, I got a repair kit online that came with a metal replacement nut. Problem solved, pump turns again, sorry I can't remember where I bought it though. It's been a few years.

Comment

Yup... that was the problem. I had the "Maytag Man" come out and he found this issue. The service call and replacement part came to about $120 -- $70 for the labor and about $45 for the part.

Interesting how Maytag originally made the part out of plastic (which is prone to stripping) and that the replacement part is metal.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =