Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire washer won't go into high speed

Dan,
    Got a frigidaire washer FWS777GHS0 that won't go into normal running speed. With a full tub and water it sounds like the motor stays in the start mode. In the spin cycle it takes a while before the tub picks up speed to the point of extracting water n suds. Would a slipping belt prevent the motor from "spinning up?" Give me your thoughs - Hayzee

Something else I found out, the tub seal is leaking badly.

Comment

how do I remove the inner tub? I got the five bolts out. Do I remove the two 5/16' bolts and plate before the tub will move?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from holidays.

won't go into normal running speed. With a full tub and water it sounds like the motor stays in the start mode.
        I not sure what you mean by that.

In the spin cycle it takes a while before the tub picks up speed to the point of extracting water n suds.
        The water is pumped out not spun out. If the washer isn't draining properly, spin will be retarded.

Would a slipping belt prevent the motor from "spinning up?"
        The belt slips until the tub gets up to speed. That slipping acts as the clutching mechanism. And yes, a worn belt could prevent full speed spin.

LINK > Frigidaire FWS777GHS0 Drive Belt

the tub seal is leaking badly.
        That's bad. If water gets through that seal it usually damages the tub bearing beneath. If water got onto the belt from there it could cause it to slip excessively as well.

LINK > Frigidaire FWS777GHS0 Tub Seal

LINK > Frigidaire FWS777GHS0 Tub Bearing

how do I remove the inner tub? I got the five bolts out. Do I remove the two 5/16' bolts and plate before the tub will move?
        There's a good chance you will not get the tub 'trunnion' off the transmission shaft with the tub already removed from it. Usually the two bolts holding the locking bar to the trunnion get removed first. Then the tub can be gripped to work it back and forth and off the transmission shaft with the tub and trunnion still attached to one another.

Sometimes the trunnion gets seized onto the transmission shaft and has to be broken or cut off and just replaced. Sometimes heat from a propane torch can be used to heat the trunnion a bit to loosen it. IF you try that be VERY careful not to melt any plastic. I guess you don't really need to worry about damaging the tub seal beneath because if it is leaking, that seal needs to be replaced anyway.

LINK > Frigidaire FWS777GHS0 Tub Trunnion

LINK > Frigidaire FWS777GHS0 Trunnion Locking Bar

LINK > Frigidaire FWS777GHS0 Trunnion Locking Bar Bolts

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Frigidaire washer

I got the tub out with the trunion attached. By removing the lock bar the whole assembly came out. rocking it did loosen it up. I made a penetrating oil one half acetone and onehalf auto transmission fluid. tub came right out! I used a wooden block and removed the trunion from the tub. I examined the surfaces of the trunnion and where the seal sits there are five "spokes" if you want to call them that - the brass seal sits right there. My question is - does the face of the trunnion where the seal sits have to be machined flat? a lot of corrosion in the white metal made the trunnion surface kinda rough but flat. Next move is to remove the balance springs and the outer tub to get to the spin bearing.

Comment

I got the tub out with the trunion attached
            Glad to hear it.

does the face of the trunnion where the seal sits have to be machined flat?
            It's critical that the seal sit flat, yes. I don't know how bad your trunnion is but you can see the underside of a new one in the image below. If needed our technicians would just replace the trunnion, not try to repair the old one.

The trunnion is also responsible for putting the proper pressure of the two halves of the seal to prevent leaks. There is likely a limit to how much variance would be acceptable and still have the correct pressure on the seal.

And yes, the white metal the trunnion is made from is prone to deterioration from detergents.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =