Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore washer banging on spin

I have a Kenmore washing machine, model # 110.28902790. In the last few days I've noticed that it really starts banging loudly when it goes into spin cycle. After reading through some posts here, I checked underneath for a white powder (bad snubber?) or oil (bad transmission?). I see neither... just dust bunnies. Nothing on the floor or underside that I can see. If I grab the agitator, it seems to move fairly freely, though there is some resistance.
    Since I've been laid off for 2 years, I really am hoping that I don't need to buy a new washer, and that I can repair this myself inexpensively. Any help would be appreciated.

Suspension system problem?

In the last few days I've noticed that it really starts banging loudly when it goes into spin cycle.
    Was the machine transported or tipped on its side just prior to this occurrence? If it was, the triangular 'skid plate' (see the following link) may have come out of place and need to be adjusted.

LINK > Suspension 'Skid Plate'

LINK > Washer moves around too much

If that is not the cause of becoming off balance, the suspension pads on that skid plate and/or the matching ones on the washer base may be worn and slipping too much. (There are videos showing replacement of the associated suspension parts at the following links).

LINK > Suspension Pad Kit, 'Skid Plate'

LINK > Suspension Pad Kit, Washer Base

If those aren't the cause, 'weak' suspension springs might be responsible.

LINK > Suspension Spring

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, Dan. Those videos make it make the repair look like something I can do myself (although I'll have to see if I can find a spanner wrench somewhere). The washer hasn't been moved, so I'm leaning towards the skid plates or springs. Is there any way to tell which it is? I looked under the machine and didn't see any broken or missing springs, but how do you tell a weak spring? And if I replace the skid pads, is it a good idea to replace both sets, or is that overkill?
      Thanks again for the help.

Comment

how do you tell a weak spring?
        If there are no obvious sighs of stretching, etc., just the process of elimination is often used to determine if they're a candidate or not. I don't know any way to actually test the spring's tension.

if I replace the skid pads, is it a good idea to replace both sets
        They are usually replaced together, yes. They're fairly inexpensive.

I'll have to see if I can find a spanner wrench somewhere
        The nut can usually be removed using other tools as well. It is just easiest if the designed tool is used.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =