Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE 'fridge...

Ah....my fault. typical of me. Jumping the gun and not reading it through. Thanks again for keeping me on the right path, Dan O.

Comment

GE 'fridge...

Unexpected company prevented any further investigation, but did find that the heater is okay. It reads 24 ohms. So it's now on to checking the timer and temperature limiter.

Comment

You can try checking the limit thermostat. If open when cold enough where it should be closed, it is defective but it is not what is used to turn off the heaters during the normal defrost process. That is done my the electronic control, it getting a reading from the thermistor on the evaporator. That thermostat's purpose is just to shut the heaters down if the control power them for too long, before the fridge interior melts.

LINK > GE GSS25JFMCWW Temperature Thermistor

You can find the thermistor's resistance values and some diagnostic procedures in the image at this link:

LINK > GE Electronically Controlled Refrigerator Diagnostic Chart

There is also no "timer" on GE electronically controlled models. That job is performed by the electronic control.

LINK > GE GSS25JFMCWW 'Mother' Board

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

GE 'fridge...

Thanks, Dan O. The unit has been unplugged for a couple of days now. And I do have about a many panels off in that freezer as is possible without a cutting torch! Could not find a timer ANYwhere on that unit, leading me to think it must be the kind that's a part of the motherboard. And when I checked in today, I find your note confirming as much. The heater appears good. The limiter registers zero ohms. Which is what I would expect in this condition. (I checked by using pins J5 and J4.) So it's now on to ordering a motherboard.
          Thank you so much for your help, Dan O.

Comment

GE 'fridge...

Well, the new motherboard is in. Fortunately I found one about 18 miles from the house. Hopefully the unit will be functioning for the visitors from Texas tomorrow!
            Again...thank you VERY much, Dan O.

Comment

GE 'fridge...

Rats, rats and RATS!! Well, it's been about eight hours now. The freezer was down to about 8* and the 'fridge was hovering around 38*. All seemed good and she started putting stuff back in there. Well, now the darn freezer is at 40* and the 'fridge part is around 54*! The compressor and all fans are running. I would not think the freezer would warm up THAT much if it went into defrost! DANG! Can't wait for the morning to get here to check it again. Sure hope it's where it's supposed to be....rats....

Comment

GE 'fridge...

Well, my paranoia was for nothing! This morning the unit is working properly and has been all day. So again...thanks, Dan!!!!

Comment

Working

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob
                  This morning the unit is working properly and has been all day.
                  Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =