Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kichenaid Electric Dryer help please!

Im new at this. Just hoping someone could guide me in the right direction.
    I purchased from a friend an Electric Dryer model # KEYS750LT1.
    The Timer will not advance on any settings. I have researched on line. Found most of the time the timer doesn't advance only on the sensor setting so the problem could be the dampness sensors. Not the case here. I have also seen where someone said, don't replace the timer. Its probably not the problem but where do I go from here? Someone else said it was the "solenoid switch" but my parts manual for this dryer doesn't have anything called that. I may be new at this but if it's a simple part replacement I would love to do it myself. I just hate having to call a repair person and spending all that money if it's something I can do... please give me some guidance. Thanks!!

Can you follow a ladder diagram? If you are familiar with device symbols then troubleshooting your dryer will be a breeze. Follow a logical order from a hot wire [L1] to another wire called L2 or L3. Learn to use a multimeter with voltage ranges and resistance ranges. Power always goes [from] [to] a device through a controlling means.
    For instance, the left side of the ladder diagram has the HOT conductors, the right side has the "returns" or other side of the line.
    A wire connects to a door switch which is shown as normally open in the de-energized position. When you close the door, its contacts make up completing that part of the circuit. So power goes through this switch to another device - say a thermostat. This could show, closes on temperature drop. so you'd read a voltage through this device. and on to the next device. It may be a flame sensor that closes in the presence of a flame. The next logical step would be to open the main valve. The rest of the circuit goes to the right side L2 or L3. If this ladder diagram is interrupted by any device that isn't working you'll read a voltage up to this point but nothing on the other side of it. This my friend is troubleshooting. Hayzee.

Comment

Thank you very much. Yes, I can read a ladder diagram. I will get started and see what happens...

Comment

Timer doesn't advance *at all*

Kichenaid Electric Dryer [model # KEYS750LT1]. The Timer will not advance on any settings.
        If the timer doesn't advance even on a plain "timed" setting, the timer is likely defective and needs to be replaced. Basically, if the timer's motor is getting power (120 VAC) the timer should be advancing. If that motor IS getting power but NOT advancing, the timer is the problem.

LINK > Kichenaid KEYS750LT1 Dryer Timer

I have researched on line. Found most of the time the timer doesn't advance only on the sensor setting so the problem could be the dampness sensors.
        If the timer only doesn't advance on an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting it could be a number of things depending on the design of the dryer. A moisture sensor just of them. Only a problem in the timer itself or power getting to the timer would affect it on regular timed settings as well as auto.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Power to timer

I have a friend that has a meter to make sure the timer does indeed have power getting to it. But I do notice that the timer does make a "ticking" noise, as if the timer is working but not advancing to the proper place to turn the dryer off. Please note: I have to move the indicator on the timer knob to an "on" position. If I manually turn the knob to the "off" position, the dryer will turn off. Basically I will dismantle the housing around the controls and see what I have. Thank you for all your help!!

Comment

the timer uses a small synchronous motor [looks silver] that has a gearbox connected to a shaft with multiple cams inside. during the time cycle certain switches are closed while others are opening. look at the timing diagram. if the unit is clicking it means that it is functioning.

Comment

unit functioning

Well, then I will take it apart and look at it more closely. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Comment

I do notice that the timer does make a "ticking" noise
                That could be caused by the gears in the timer motor slipping resulting in no movement of the rest of the timing device.

JMO

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com
                The Appliance Information Site

Comment

I wouldn't take apart the timer mechanism if I were you. There are springs and spring loaded contacts inside. One contact mis placed and you'll be buying a new timer anyways.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =