Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Side-by-side ice behind crisper drawer

Hello All:
    Our GE Profile (Model: PCF25MGWA) was having issues with cooling on both the freezer and fridge sides. The settings were at 0/38 but the actual temps were 7/47. I cleaned out the dust buildup on the condenser. I also verified that the condenser fan and compressor are working. The 2 fans in the freezer and fridge sections are also verified to be working (when pressing the light switch with the door open, I can hear the fans go on and I feel a blast of cold air on the freezer side).

On the fridge side, I can hear the fan go on when pressing the light switch but I don't feel cold air coming out the vents. I took out the fresh produce and deli/meats trays at the bottom of the fridge and saw there was quite a bit of ice built up on the vent in the back. I removed as much of it as I could with a plastic knife but there's still some in there.

My question is, is it normal for ice to build up in that area ? Secondly, would that affect the temperature in the fridge section ? Is that somehow blocking the airflow between the freezer and fridge sections ?

Thanks for any help/advice.

the freezer section controls the cooling of the fresh food side via air ducts and fans. if the freezer control is way down, there could be freezing where the cold stratifies to the bottom of the crisper section.

Comment

On the fridge side, I can hear the fan go on when pressing the light switch but I don't feel cold air coming out the vents.
      Your refrigerator appears to have separate evaporator (cooling) coils for the fridge and freezer compartments. The area of your picture is likely where the fridge compartment evaporator is. If it was frosted/iced over it would restrict air movement and thus result in cooling problems.

is it normal for ice to build up in that area?
      "Frosting" of the evaporator coils would be normal. "Icing" would not.

I removed as much of it as I could with a plastic knife but there's still some in there.
      If you were attacking it while still fully assembled, there is likely A LOT more behind the panel that covers the evaporator.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, Dan and HayZee518, for your responses. I'll take the back panel off to see if there's something obvious that's wrong. BTW, here's an image that I took this morning that shows the frost build-up on and around the coil area.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =