Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Dishwasher

We have a Maytag dishwasher, Quiet Series 100 that has gotten to where it is not cleaning the dishes very good.
    It is a model MDBH950AWB. Not sure of the year, but we bought it at Lowes a couple of years ago.
    There is another number by the model # 26920744GC

We have terrible water here. Eats the chrome off faucets, flush valves on toilets, etc. We are constantly having plumbing issues. Pin holes in the copper plumbing, thank goodness we have a pier and beam home!

Have been doing research on this dishwasher as to what may be the problem. It still functions like it is supposed to otherwise. Just leaves food on silverware, or bowls, film on glasses, etc. Just not doing a good job like it used to. I am hoping it is just some build up somewhere that is stopping the good cleaning action. It's just the two of us, but it gets run pretty much every day.

Any ideas from you pros?

Thanks, RickN.

Originally posted by RickN

We have a Maytag dishwasher model MDBH950AWB [serial] # 26920744GC

It still functions like it is supposed to. Just leaves food on silverware, or bowls, film on glasses, etc.
    That is usually caused by not draining properly. There might be a problem in the drain hoses, the drain pump or even possibly an obstruction inside the main wash system. Those things would have to be inspected to try to determine the cause in your case.

We have terrible water here. Eats the chrome off faucets, flush valves on toilets, etc.
    I doubt that has anything to do with your stated problem but have you considered a whole house water filter system?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Maytag

Well, I'm curious. How would not draining leave food on the glasses and bowls in the top of the dw?

I was going to try to remove the spray bars and see if they were possibly corroded up or plugged in any way. It's seems more like it is not spraying the dishes hard enough to remove the food......and we have started pre-rinsing. Even have started soaking silverware in a small pan in the sink in hot water and soap.

As for the 'whole house' filteration system, I would love to have one, but I looked at my check book, and it ain't going to happen soon.

Would be fairly easy to do, as our pier and beam has plenty of room to work. Can almost just sit up and work, very little crawling except on hands and knees.

Thanks for your response!

Rick

Comment

I'm curious. How would not draining leave food on the glasses and bowls in the top of the dw?
        Food particles are expelled with the drain water. If it isn't draining properly, food residue could remain in the machine to be recirculated and redeposited on utensils as a result.

we have started pre-rinsing
        If the detergent has no food residue to work on, it will attack other surfaces. That can lead to etching of glassware and plates and bowls, etc.

Only scraping off of large food particles should be done prior to washing. No prerinsing.

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site
        Last edited by Dan O.; 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

below the bottom spray arm just above the pump is a stationary chopper assembly. between the spray arm and the chopper there is a movable macerator. this thing rotates and makes food particles smaller so they pass through the pump. the first wash circulates water and detergent along with food particles through the lower and upper spray arm. then after the wash, the motor stops and the tank drains, hopefully taking the food particles with it. the tub then fills with new water and the unit sprays. the second wash opens the detergent flap and pumps the stuff all over the place. after this drains, the tub fills again and opens the glassware additive and sprays again. the discharge water should be clean at this stage. check for a partial blockage in the anti siphon loop.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =