Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting Range Hood

Hi all,

Is it ok to use an existing flu pipe to vent a range hood? It was originally installed for a gas furnace, but I no longer use gas for heating. This is not the brick chimney although I have that also, it is one of those round duct metal roof jack type flu that goes up through the roof with a cap. Even though the old brick chimney is right next to the the range, I dont really trust it. I am not worried about resale of the house, etc..I will be here til I drop dead

Thanks

Venting Range Hood

Originally posted by radstorm View Post
    Hi all,

Is it ok to use an existing flu pipe to vent a range hood? It was originally installed for a gas furnace, but I no longer use gas for heating. This is not the brick chimney although I have that also, it is one of those round duct metal roof jack type flu that goes up through the roof with a cap. Even though the old brick chimney is right next to the the range, I dont really trust it. I am not worried about resale of the house, etc..I will be here til I drop dead

Thanks
    When venting a range hood, keep in mind you are vent out water vapor, heat
    and grease vapor. All ducting leaving the hood should go up and and be sealed.
    The joints should be made so and grease vapor that is too heavy to exhaust out will run back into the filter of the hood. Protect the duct from getting to hot. If you check with you local inspector he can tell you all the codes on ducting it. Paul
    Last edited by HayZee518; 11-12-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Vent hoods don't have a lot of power behind them. Depending on how high the vent goes, the hood may not have enough force to work acceptably... or at all.

Usually range hoods vent directly through the wall to the outdoors. A very short distance.

Even clothes dryers have a very difficult time venting through a roof vent and they usually have a MUCH more powerful blower than a hood does.

JMO

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Thank you both or the advice. The problem is my stove is on an inside wall approw 10 feet from any outside walls, and my ceilings are pretty low.

Comment

What If? I vented my dryer to it? Would I need some sort of trap for moisture? I am pretty sure my dryer has enough push to vent it out, but I also am aware there is moisture that comes with that notion. I am thinking now maybe I could swap the stove and dryer locations to do this. Any suggestions?

Comment

I am pretty sure my dryer has enough push to vent it out
            I wouldn't count on it but before you do anything check with a building inspector. It is no use trying anything if it won't pass code or be unsafe.

JMO

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

Comment

Hi Dan, yeah I have decided not to vent anything to it..as for the stove I might use one of them thru wall vents..or just put a ventless hood to it. Better safe than sorry

Comment

Better safe than sorry
                I agree! Besides, venting any domestic appliance out the roof is usually fraught with problems. They're just not designed for it.

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

Comment

Good advices! Thanx.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =