Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lint in washing machine

I wash my clothes and hang dry them. I don't own a dryer and most times don't have money to go to a dryer. how can i stop my clothes from getting linty? thanks

Lint is the result of the woven fibers slowly coming apart. Raw cotton is fibers before spinning into a yarn. Same with wool. It is an animal hair that is woven into yarn. The twisted yarn gives the thread its strength. The thread is wound onto spools or bobbins. In the loom you have threads running the length of the yard goods with a horizontal or warp thread. This warp thread is shuttled back and forth through the open web and pressed together to form cloth. The surface of the cloth has small fuzzies on both sides. these small fibers break off and clump together creating lint. any sticky substance like cellophane tape, sticky side out will remove lint. In a dryer the clothing is constantly rotated and fluffed. with air flow inside the drum the fuzz is trapped by the lint filter before the moist air is exhausted out of the machine.
    You can probably brush off the lint with a stiff bristle brush.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 02-12-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Load size, material type, water temperature

Lint can result from overloading the machine during washing, too little water for load size, washing dissimilar fabrics together and even a rough agitator. Besides looking for tough surfaces, separate clothing to be washed by color and material type (natural, synthetic, etc.) and make sure the load size is appropriate for the amount of clothing being washed.

Also, undissolved detergent can leave residue that looks similar to lint. If your clothing has that appearance right out of the wash, try rewashing them using NO detergent and watch the drain water. If there is ANY signs of sudsing in the drain water it usually a sign there is still detergent left in the clothing. Drastically cut down on the amount of detergent being used and make sure you are using wash water of AT LEAST 70 deg. F. Modern detergents need at least that temperature to dissolve fully. Even Tide "Cold Water" needs wash water of 60 deg. F. (That's not "cold" where I come from! very misleading).

JMO

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-12-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

water

i use faucet water that I can't change the temperature on. so I will just use warm water to be sure to dissolve all the soap. Thanks for the help..

Comment

I've had some success reducing lint that sounds like it might work pretty well for you. Its a bit lengthy (believe it or not) for a forum post though. Anyone interested feel free to email me at aaron.andverjett@efirstbank.com and I'd be happy to talk em through the process.

Good Luck,
          A.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =