• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise

years ago when the noise first appeared

Comment

Assumptions

Components have to be checked when they are malfunctioning. That's the only way to rule them out as a possibility. You can not rely on an observation made years ago to determine the condition of a component now... especially when the problem wasn't even occurring at the time they were looked at as you reported.

Your messages are making this thread much too long. I am going to separate then into their own thread so if you post again look for them under a different title, "ge profile fan noise".

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

noise

if there were a mechanical defect or if the blade were hitting something it would not change this noise goes from loud to low to nothing.does the board vary the fan speed on my model?

Comment

if there were a mechanical defect or if the blade were hitting something it would not change. this noise goes from loud to low to nothing.
          Not necessarily. While the blade hitting something or rubbing might not come and go and then immediately return, there is nothing to say that the same cause couldn't recur multiple times over some period of time. Just probably not right away. Eg. a piece of frost develop, cause a vibration and then melt or fall off and then at some time in the future it develop again. A motor winding could short when cold but that change once the motor had warmed with use. Not all failures are constant.

does the board vary the fan speed on my model?
          AFAIK all GE models using an electronic control vary the speed of the DC evaporator fan motor.

If you want to take a chance on the electronic control (which may be a good bet), the company at the following link offers a 365 day return policy. It applies even to electrical components which most other companies will not accept for return.

LINK > GE PTS22SCSARSS Electronic Control

JFYI

Dan O.
          Appliance411.com
          =D~~~~~~

Comment

noise

i think i will try and squeeze ge again for the board.if it is the board that has been sending the wrong voltage to the fan over these years do you think i should change the fan motor also?

Comment

I don't know that a board malfunction would damage the motor. I've never heard of such a case so if the board is causing the problem just replacing it might be all that is necessary.

Dan O.
              Appliance411.com
              =D~~~~~~

Comment

noise

well GE offered me the board for $79 i think I'll give them a call back and get one is this the part #wr55x10942? thanks

Comment

The part number of that component on your model is listed on the page I previously linked to. Compare the numbers.

Dan O.
                  Appliance411.com
                  =D~~~~~~

Comment

noise

that is the part number will contact GE on Monday, get the board and replace it.will post results.thanks for all your help and patience dedicated people like you are hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =