Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you ever heard of that happening before?
    Drum baffles occasionally need to be replaced and if the dryer was overheating, I can easily imagine them melting or becoming brittle with the heat and breaking.

LINK > Kenmore 110.7218622 Drum Baffle

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

we replaced the two thermostats today and dryer is still overheating. we are going to look at the element next to see if its shorting to ground. though i'm not sure what that means apparently my husband does. the dryer seems to be much hotter in one spot than another. so if its shorting to ground, what do you do to fix it? replace the element, replace the shell, how do you get metal off of metal?
      if the element is not the problem or if someone thinks it can't be this, please tell us what is the next logical step in troubleshooting this is.
      is it possible that we shorted out the new thermostat today by connecting it to a shorted element and running the dryer? BTW we have eliminated poor venting as the problem. and now i guess we've eliminated thermostats too.

Comment

Overheating is NOT from 'shorted' element

we are going to look at the element next to see if its shorting to ground.
        The element shorted to ground would either cause reduced heat (it only getting 1/2 power) or the element staying on partially when the dryer was turned OFF (or both). It should NOT cause overheating... except in the later case and then only when not running.

is it possible that we shorted out the new thermostat today by connecting it to a shorted element
        No. The thermostats should not be affected by a shorted element unless it was a dead short which would also blow the house fuse/breaker for the dryer.

we have eliminated poor venting as the problem. and now i guess we've eliminated thermostats too.
        Yes. So someone will have to look into air flow through the dryer. Since you say the drum seal was replaced, maybe someone should confirm it was installed properly? If air is getting past it, that air won't be making it to the thermostat for it to control the heating.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
        X
        =