Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Ice Maker not working

My ice maker stopped making ice about one year ago.
    Here is what lead up to the problem and what I have tried unsuccessfully to repair.
    The water dispencer was starting to operate slowy, I did not the change the water filter soon enought. I started to notice the ice maker was not making ice as fequent as well. So I finally changed the water filter. The water pressure came back up...but the ice maker did not and finally stopped making ice. I noticed that the ice-maker fill tube line was froze and I defrosted it was a hair dryer. The ice maker worked for a few more days then the fill tube froze up again. I turned the water off to the fridge and we went without ice for about a year.
    I was getting ready to completely replace the ice maker, then did some research on the ice maker problem and found some techs recommended to replace the water valve module on the refrig. So I purchased and installed the water valve module and defrosted the fill tube line. Ran water thru the dispenser and very little water pressure existed. I installed a new water filter. Now I have good water pressure, but still no Ice. (36 hours to date). I just found (1hr ago) that I still had some ice build up hidden up in the tube. I just cleared the tube. And now will find out in a few hours if I have Ice. (I can hear water trying to fill the icemaker)

If no Ice.... is there anything else I can check, before the final call to the Bigman in the Blue suit is called.

Thanks

Rick Marion

no ice today.

Any suggestions on the next step to inspect and or check?

Thanks

Rick

Comment

Model number??

Frigidaire Ice Maker
      That is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is the refrigerator's complete model number.

I started to notice the ice maker was not making ice as fequent as well
      Slow ice production is usually linked to too wam of freezer temperature. The freezer compartment should be +2 deg. F to -5 deg. F for best ice production. Check to make sure the controls are set properly and that the fridge's condenser is *thoroughly* clean and that the fridge has lots of 'breathing' room around it.

A defrost problem could also hamper freezer temperature affecting ice production.

The ice maker worked for a few more days then the fill tube froze up again.
      Repeated freezing of the icemaker fill tube is usually caused by poor water pressure to the fridge's water valve. That could be caused by an obstructed sediment screen (if one was installed) in the water line at that fridge's water valve.

Poor water pressure is frequently the result of use of a 'self-piercing' saddle valve on the house water pipe or any type of saddle valve installed on the underside of a water pipe. Only a drill-type saddle valve should be used (if not a regular plumbing tap) and only mounted on the top of a horizontal water pipe or the side of a vertical pipe.

Those things should be checked and corrected if necessary.

JMO

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Model # - FRS26HF5A

The Freezer Temperture control is set at normal. (I will vaccum out the fridge area. I did notice a lot of dust build up on and around the fridge water valve, when I replaced the original module.

A few years ago, we had the fridge repaired under warranty. During this repair the house water valve control knob failed and the repair tech replaced this valve with a 1/4 turn control valve. (where the fridge water line connects to the house, behind the fridge)

I will check the:

a. water pressure from the house valve.
        b. water line connection refridgeator hose.
        c. ice maker water line plastic tube. If I blow into this tube (once removed), should this line be clear and allow airflow???

Thanks
        for your reply.

Sincerely

Rick Marion

Comment

The Freezer Temperture control is set at normal.
          That doesn't matter as much as the actual temperature it is keeping.

should this line be clear and allow airflow?
          The fill tube that goes through the rear of the cabinet to the icemaker should be clear and allow air to flow through it.

Dan O.
          Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan

thanks for your help on this matter. Its back up and working. I did not properly tighten the water hose to the fridge water valve connection and the ice maker water line was loose on the upper connection as well. A Pro, probally would of noticed the water spots on the upper connection line. This might have been the original problem....

Oh well, its working...

Rick

Comment

I did not properly tighten the water hose to the fridge water valve connection and the ice maker water line was loose on the upper connection as well. This might have been the original problem.
              I don't see how either would affect operation of the icemaker, only create a leak on the floor.

Better keep an eye on it.

Dan O.
              Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rmarion View Post
                Here is what lead up to the problem and what I have tried unsuccessfully to repair.
                The water dispencer was starting to operate slowy, I did not the change the water filter soon enought. I started to notice the ice maker was not making ice as fequent as well. So I finally changed the water filter. The water pressure came back up...but the ice maker did not and finally stopped making ice. I noticed that the ice-maker fill tube line was froze and I defrosted it was a hair dryer. The ice maker worked for a few more days then the fill tube froze up again. I turned the water off to the fridge and we went without ice for about a year.
                I was getting ready to completely replace the common frigidaire ice maker errors, then did some research on the ice maker problem and found some techs recommended to replace the water valve module on the refrig. So I purchased and installed the water valve module and defrosted the fill tube line. Ran water thru the dispenser and very little water pressure existed. I installed a new water filter. Now I have good water pressure, but still no Ice. (36 hours to date). I just found (1hr ago) that I still had some ice build up hidden up in the tube. I just cleared the tube. And now will find out in a few hours if I have Ice. (I can hear water trying to fill the icemaker)

If no Ice.... is there anything else I can check, before the final call to the Bigman in the Blue suit is called.

Thanks

Rick Marion
                OK, I'm pretty handy, but this has me stumped. We bought this house about a year ago and it came with a Frigidaire side by side with an ice maker. It was made in 2018 and both sides hold temp just fine. The ice maker is making me insane though. When you hold in the power button, it slowly cycles correctly, but we get maybe 1 or 2 cycles of ice and it stops. Some days we get none. I have verified that the water supply line is good and that the switch on the overfill arm is working. Beyond that, I am stumped. Any ideas on next step/trouble shooting path? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmarion View Post
                  I was getting ready to completely replace the ice maker, then did some research on the ice maker problem and found some techs recommended to replace the water valve module on the refrig. So I purchased and installed the water valve module and defrosted the fill tube line. Ran water thru the dispenser and very little water pressure existed. I installed a new water filter. Now I have good water pressure, but still no Ice. (36 hours to date). I just found (1hr ago) that I still had some ice build up hidden up in the tube. I just cleared the tube. And now will find out in a few hours if I have Ice. (I can hear water trying to fill the icemaker)

Thanks

Rick Marion
                  It sounds like you've put in a lot of effort to troubleshoot and repair your ice maker issue. Since you've replaced the water filter and the water valve module, and cleared any ice buildup from the fill tube, there are a few more steps you can take before seeking professional help.First, ensure that the water line supplying the refrigerator is not obstructed or kinked. Next, check the water inlet valve to ensure it's functioning properly and delivering enough water to the ice maker.Additionally, make sure the temperature settings in both the freezer and refrigerator compartments are set correctly for ice production.If you've tried all of these steps and still haven't seen any improvement after a few hours, it may be time to consider calling a technician for further diagnosis and repair. They can perform more advanced tests to pinpoint the underlying issue and recommend the best course of action.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =