Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bbq

I have a Kenmore BBQ that the last few times I've used it has a problem, with the burners up on high the flame is very small as I turn off burners the remaining burners get slightly larger, once all but one burner is off the last burner has a flame (of sorts) but not large enough to cook much as it peaks out at around 150 F.
    Now before anyone asks, the bottle is full so is the spare that I also tried, the burners are all clean and free of any obstructions.
    One previous time I had this problem I was tapping the top of the regulator and poof all the burners worked as normal, I'm not sure this was the reason or just a coincidence.

My question would be is it possible that the regulator is faulty ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

I don't have a propane bar-b-q, but I've been told that a very common problem with them is that the gas pipes that go to the burners are just the ideal size for a wide variety of spiders to build webs in. These webs get clogged up with other dead bugs and cut off the gas flow.

Before you start replacing the regulator, take the burners out and check them for spider web blockages.

There is nothing more frustrating than your bbq grill not working correctly.  Follow these steps to troubleshoot low flame or yellow flame output on your BBQ Grill

Also, it doesn't have to be something as flimsey as a spider web. Lots of bugs will build a nest in the gas tubes going to the burners of your bar-b-q, and any of those nests will be sturdy enough to prevent proper gas flow to the burners.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-15-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

BBQ Baby!

I agree with Nestor. Physically remove the burner tube and look inside the venturi opening. You may be surprised to find something inside like a mud dauber's nest.
      Another thing is, if your regulator\s screw on adapter is of the larger thread [fits on the outside of the tank fitting instead of inside] is on really tight. There's a rubber O ring that seats in the bottom of the tank valve. It feels like its tight but it really is not.

Comment

Thanks, I did find the issue, seems if you turn on the burners "before" the tank some regulators wont open the valve properly, something to do with pressure.
        Solution was to disconnect it from the tank, open the burners for a minute, close the burners, reconnect the gas, open the tank a 1/4 a turn, then turn on the burners and light it.
        Worked like a charm.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Bbq

I'm glad things worked out. FYI: propane tanks needn't be open all the way because there is no "back-seat" as there is on an oxygen cylinder. The vapor that comes out only needs to change to a gas AFTER the regulator.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =