Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting a fridge

I bought a new fridge (still in its wrapper, Styrofoam corners and shrink wrap) I need to transport it about 170 miles to it's new home, can I safely lay it down as it won't fit standing in the cargo trailer.
    If I can lay it down is there a better side ?
    Fridge is a Kenmore side by side.
    Last edited by pushkins; 08-10-2012, 02:33 PM.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

I bought a new fridge (still in its wrapper, Styrofoam corners and shrink wrap), can I safely lay it down [to transport it]
    From the Appliance411: Home Service : Helpful Tips secton of my web site:
    If you have to transport the fridge you can lay it on its side (after securing its shelves and doors). After moving, it should be left to stand upright at least an hour before plugging it in. This is because when horizontal, the oil in the compressor will seep into the refrigerant lines plugging them. The idea is to give the oil time to settle back into the compressor harmlessly. However, the less time it's on its side and the less jostling it gets in that position, the better.
    On a top freezer model generally it is best to keep the hinges on top so the doors have no chance to fall open. As yours is still wrapped and a SxS, that isn't really applicable.

If you can determine the discharge and suction sides of the compressor tubing, having the suction side at the bottom while on its side will aid in the oil recovery to the compressor. The suction side tubing comes from the evaporator coil in the freezer. The discharge (aka high) side goes to the condenser.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 08-12-2012, 03:13 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Working...
    X
    =