Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help diagnosing GE microwave problem

My two-year-old, over-the-range GE microwave oven (model JVM1850SM3SS) recently started humming constantly. I removed a very small food item as usual: opened door, light came on, humming stopped, closed door; then the humming started again. After several seconds, I unplugged the unit.

Ten minutes later, I plugged in the unit. The control panel displayed garbage, but would allow me to set the clock. During the time I was doing that, the humming continued. When I opened the door, the humming stopped, but the glass turntable was quite warm. I closed the door, the humming restarted. I unplugged it from the wall.

After several days, I tried again, and the unit seemed to be working normally. A few minutes later, however the humming stopped, even when the turntable was going and the timer counting down. I assume the humming means the magnetron is on; no humming means it is off.

I discovered that if I started up a normal usage cycle (with no humming), and then I thumped the lower right corner of the unit a few times, the humming would start and the cook cycle would complete normally. After a few days, it went back to the always humming, always heating behavior. I was able to continue using the unit by unplugging and replugging when I needed it, but it only allowed full power and would not stop heating when the timer expired.

After a few weeks of this behavior, it started working normally again: the timer could control the heating on/off and all the various power levels worked. After another day, it went back to the no heating behavior, unless I thumped it a few times (few meaning anywhere from about 5 to about 25 times).

This behavior suggest to me that there is a mechanical switch or relay or solenoid in the unit that is gummed up in some way. Sometimes it sticks in the off position; sometimes in the on position. The thumping seems to jar it loose.

What are the likely causes of the problem? The fixes? (I'm reasonably handy as a DIYer, and I know how to take the unit off the wall and then rehang it.)

This behavior suggest to me that there is a mechanical switch or relay or solenoid in the unit that is gummed up in some way. Sometimes it sticks in the off position; sometimes in the on position. The thumping seems to jar it loose.
    Any relays in the unit would be part of the electronic control board (see the following link).

Your symptom might be due to just a loose wire connection or possibly a problem in one of the door switches (there are at least 3). Unfortunately it might be more likely to be a problem with one of the electronic control's relays in which case the electronic control would usually need to be replaced to correct the condition.

GE JVM1850SM3SS Electronic Control
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Main-Control-Board-WB27X11070-01111545.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	87093
    (The two black rectangles in the center, at the bottom of the board in the pic are the relays)

Unfortunately the control board for your model (part # WB27X11070) may not be available any longer and the original might need to be sent away to be remanufactured if defective.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =