Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchenaid refrigerator - not cooling, compressor too hot to touch

Hi! I have a Kitchenaid KBFA25ER refrigerator that has stopped cooling.

* "Stopped cooling" has happened about once a month for the last three months. The last two times, the unit was left unplugged then back on for a few hours, and it came back to life. This time, no such luck. That it has happened in the past makes me believe it is not the Freon charge, but instead something electrical.
    * The compressor is super hot, to the point that I cannot leave my hand on the unit -- on either side of the compressor (both top and bottom). This doesn't make sense to me.
    * The capacitor on the side of the motor appears to be fine. I took it off, and tested with ohm meter, started closed and continued to charge to infinity. Help? What can I check next?

My thoughts are maybe it has something to do with the defrost cycle (does this unit have a heater coil?) but the hot compressor has me puzzled.

Last edited by marksatterfield; 09-21-2012, 10:50 AM. Reason: Somehow it was bolded

Kitchenaid KBFA25ER refrigerator
    That model number is incomplete. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?

The compressor is super hot,
    That can occur if the compressor was trying to start up but failing to do so. It would them cut out on its overload protector until it had a chance to cool and then would start trying to start again. Allowing a compressor to continue in that fashion usually causes the compressor or overheat.

Other than that, poor voltage to the appliance, a problem with the compressor starting relay (or a non-OEM relay installed) or a problem in the compressor itself are possibilities. There is a slim chance a plugged condenser or failed condenser fan might also cause the compressor to overheat.

I wouldn't allow the compressor to continue in that fashion as damage to the compressor could result... if it isn't already the cause.

My thoughts are maybe it has something to do with the defrost cycle
    The defrost system will have nothing to do with the compressor overheating which should be looked into before more expensive damage occurs to the unit.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you for your response, Dan!

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
      That model number is incomplete. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?
      The entire model number is KBFA25ERBL

BL is just Black. SS is Stainless. Probably other color designations also.

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
      That can occur if the compressor was trying to start up but failing to do so. It would them cut out on its overload protector until it had a chance to cool and then would start trying to start again. Allowing a compressor to continue in that fashion usually causes the compressor or overheat.

Other than that, poor voltage to the appliance, a problem with the compressor starting relay (or a non-OEM relay installed) or a problem in the compressor itself are possibilities. There is a slim chance a plugged condenser or failed condenser fan might also cause the compressor to overheat.

poor voltage to the appliance << I'm thinking it is okay. Registers 120V at the moment. AC working fine, another refrigerator working fine. Not on same breaker, but on same house lead.

a problem with the compressor starting relay (or a non-OEM relay installed) << is the start relay inside the white box behind the water inlet? My initial expectation is that the start relay is working (since the compressor is so hot). How can this be tested?

a problem in the compressor itself << How would I test that?

plugged condenser << How would that happen? How could I test it?

failed condenser fan << Condenser fan is fine, it blows most of the time. I think it is thermostatically controlled, so the heat from the compressor is causing the fan to run continuously.

Comment

KBFA25ERBL
        Are there no numbers after that? That would be the revision code. The parts lists shows two possible models KBFA25ERBL00 and KBFA25ERBL01.

I'm thinking [the voltage] is okay. Registers 120V at the moment.
        It should be measured when the compressor starts to see how much it drops when under load. If it dropped more than 10%, you have low voltage. Running on an extension cord could also cause that.

is the start relay inside the white box behind the water inlet?
        It is attached right onto the compressor. I don't know where the water valve is located on your model.

My initial expectation is that the start relay is working (since the compressor is so hot).
        The start relay switches power to the start winding during start up and then disconnects it when running. A failure of either function will cause the compressor to overheat without it actually "working".

plugged condenser << How would that happen?
        The condenser should be cleaned every couple of months. I guess you haven't been doing that. Check the owners manual about cleaning.

Condenser fan is fine, it blows most of the time.
        It should run whenever the compressor is.

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 09-21-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =