Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Elite Ice Maker Inconsistent

I have a bottom freezer Kenmore Elite. Model # 596.78576800

I routinely have to remove the last/rear ice cube from the rotating arm...did that a couple of days ago and ever since, the ice maker as been acting up.

Pulled the fridge out yesterday and cleaned around all vents, and under fridge as well. Water flow is good going into the fridge. After I got it all hooked back up yesterday, I heard the water fill like normal. 1.5 hours later, I heard ice drop. GREAT, right? Well this continued like it should normally for about 4 more cycles, then I noticed I hadn't heard it drop ice for about 3 hours. I looked inside and the water had frozen just like normal...the teeth on the rotating arm were about the 2 o'clock position, but nothing was occurring to move the ice out. I waited overnight to see if it would drop ice or not and this morning, nothing.

Today, on e-how, I read a blurb about being able to put a wire from the "T" to the "H" spot to see if it would cycle the harvest portion. I did this, and the rotating arm started going around, broke the ice, and rotated the ice up and out and into the bucket. After it started I took the wire out, shut the door and about 30 seconds later, I heard water fill into the tray again. So that tells me that with the door shut, the icemaker continued (without the 'jumper wire' in there anymore)

So, what gives? Why is the ice maker not initiating the harvest cycle...but the jumper wire will and the jumper wire is removed it will continue to the fill cycle? Any knowledge you guys have is much appreciated. I use ice every day for my lunch for work - so thanks for any insight!!

What is the freezer temperature?

From The Appliance Clinic web site:
    Jumping between T and H will simulate the closing of the internal thermostat. It will initiate a harvest cycle, powering the icemaker motor and the mold heater. Remove the jumper after 3 seconds and icemaker should continue to run.
    So the icemaker's internal thermostat's contacts may not be closing properly. That might be due to a defect in that thermostat (see the following link) or the freezer temperature not quite cold enough. Exactly how cold is the freezer?

LINK > Icemaker Thermostat
    LINK > Thermostat Mounting Alumilastic Cement

the rotating arm started going around, broke the ice...
    BTW. The 'rake' (as it's often referred to) does not break the ice. A heater comes on under the ice mold to separate the cubes from it and then the rake just pushes the individual cubes out.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 12-03-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

kenmore ice maker

Thanks for the reply...well the electronic display at the top of the fridge says 0 degrees in the freezer. However, I was looking through the receipts and saw I purchased a home protection agreement good for 5 years....called up Sears and after describing the issues to them as well, they are sending out a new ice maker. Thank you Dan, however, for your info...if I didn't have the protect. agreement, I'd be utilizing your advice for sure.

btw...now (today) when I tried jumping the T and H spots, nothing happens. think it's toast!

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =