Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore timer problem?

My Kenmore dryer - model # 110.96593230 has a different kind of problem. I think the timer is bad and has been for a while. It recently failed to operate which I tracked down to a failed thermal fuse which I replaced along with the internal bias thermostat. So, the thing operates, but weirdly. I have checked the vent system and it does not appear to be clogged. It has a booster fan in our attic (Fantech dbf110) and when it is on it pulls OK at the dryer inlet (how to assess how it's working? I opened it up and the fan blades were relatively clean - a bit of lint on the blades but it runs quietly).

I think the timer is bad - the test procedure is to measure the resistance across a couple of wiring spades and suggest replacement when the resistance is not between 1800 and 2900 ohms - I get 1750 - go figure! Is that sufficient to declare the timer bad? Also when I run a load on automatic sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes the indicator sits in the same place for an extended period with the dryer running and dry cloths in the drum. It is the intermittant nature of the problem that is perplexing. Suggestions? Thanks in advance. Jim

Before investing in a new timer, you can check the operation of the old dynamically. The switching pattern should be given on a pasted on diagram. Verify switching continuity as the various functions are selected. I have repaired timer switches by cleaning contacts with contact spray and if the contacts are accessible, they can be burnished. Assumedly, the timer motor has been found to be OK.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by volts

Before investing in a new timer, you can check the operation of the old dynamically. The switching pattern should be given on a pasted on diagram. Verify switching continuity as the various functions are selected. I have repaired timer switches by cleaning contacts with contact spray and if the contacts are accessible, they can be burnished. Assumedly, the timer motor has been found to be OK.
      Thanks - I went through your suggestions but unfortunately to no avail. I'm wondering how to tell if the electronic controller is OK.

Comment

Didn't know it was an electronic timer. However,the same holds true for them. The electronic switching does the same as mechanical; in any case, a selected voltage must output wherever indicated on the diagram. With a bit of analytical savvy, you could apply a test voltage to a component directly to ascertain that the motor, etc. are in tact.

Comment

Check the electronic controller as if it were mechanical. An output at a terminal must appear when selected. Have you applied test voltages to dryer components to ascertain that they are OK?

Comment

If you have a heating problem the timer won't move. So once you have the fuse thing sorted out, see if the timer problem goes away.
            BTW once you have the thermostat and fuse working , put a thermoneter on/in the exhaust tube close to the exhaust on the dryer. Then look at what the cycles of the dryer look like as far as temperature range. Although the fuses occasionally just failed for no apparent good reason, it id best to check if there was an obvious cause for the failure.
            Paul

Comment

B&F: you say that the heater starts the timer rather than the reverse?

quote:Originally posted by BonesandFeathers

If you have a heating problem the timer won't move. So once you have the fuse thing sorted out, see if the timer problem goes away.
              BTW once you have the thermostat and fuse working , put a thermoneter on/in the exhaust tube close to the exhaust on the dryer. Then look at what the cycles of the dryer look like as far as temperature range. Although the fuses occasionally just failed for no apparent good reason, it id best to check if there was an obvious cause for the failure.
              Paul

Comment

If a dryer isn't heating, the timer doesn't move. So there is the "it's taking two hours to dry story". There is interaction between the gas valves and the timer. I believe it's the main gas valve that feeds the timer stepper motor. I'd have to look at a Step Chart to remember. Been a while since I actually had to think about it.
                Paul

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by BonesandFeathers

If a dryer isn't heating, the timer doesn't move. So there is the "it's taking two hours to dry story". There is interaction between the gas valves and the timer. I believe it's the main gas valve that feeds the timer stepper motor. I'd have to look at a Step Chart to remember. Been a while since I actually had to think about it.
                  Paul

I have an electric dryer but the same type of controlling must be used.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR VALUABLE INSIGHTS!

Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =