Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philco Ford Deluxe Refrigerator freezes fresh food

I'd love to keep this old Philco, but it invariably freezes food in the refrigerator area. The bottom plate of the freezer is exposed to this area. Model is RS 9H8L and S/N 8JE104205. For the last two seasons, my onion crop stored on the refrigerator shelves froze solid as ice balls. I put in a standalone thermometer to check temps (even put in a duplicate to verify), and never saw a temp below freezing, which confused me. Right now I have the temp control set at level #1, right below Defrost, and the temp reads 42F. This control ranges from #1 - 9 and handles both the freezing compartment and refrigerator area so far as I can tell. The freezer is on top and is a manual defrost. At this low temp, the freezer appears cold enough.

I searched the Internet looking for a schematic and parts, but found no reference. I'm hoping there is a generic part I may use to fix the problem, else it's the new refrigerator route. Would appreciate any guidance.
    Last edited by luker; 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM.

thermostat

there is a thermostat which is available from keg beer distributors that installs inline with your power plug.
    the temperature range is from 20 to about 60 degrees.
    it is a cappillary tube type that is three feet long.
    the bulb installs anywhere inside the fridge while it physically can be outside of the fridge.
    you dial in what approx temp you want and the fridge and its compressor will turn on and off as the setpoint is reached.
    trial and error will get you in the ballpark.

Comment

[Philco] Model is RS 9H8L and S/N 8JE104205.
      I'm afraid I am not familiar with that model. It may be difficult to find any information on that brand's products.

The bottom plate of the freezer is exposed to this area.
      There is usually a tray beneath the freezer compartment on a mnaual defrost refrigerator to keep most of the cold air in the freezer compartment area and to catch water while defrosting. Is there no tray on your model?

my onion crop stored on the refrigerator shelves froze solid as ice balls.
      Which shelf/shelves?

I put in a standalone thermometer to check temps (even put in a duplicate to verify), and never saw a temp below freezing, which confused me.
      I can't understand that either unless the tray beneath the freezer is missing and as the cold air from the freezer drops into the fridge compartment it affects items on the top or bottom shelf.

On which shelf did you place the thermometer?

Generally, checking the refrigerator compartment temperature is done by placing a container of water on a middle shelf and then checking the water temperature after 12-24 hours. The air temperature can fluctuate during operation and the median temperature food reaches should be the measure of the that compartment's temperature.

Also, is this appliance in a heated area which is at a constant temperature?

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =