Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Maytag washer won't aggitate or shut off

Got an LA612 and a couple of similiar washers for part.ss. It won't agitate and when it spins the water out, it stips but keeps humming. Can someone tell what parts need replacing? Thanks.

Clarification needed

It won't agitate
    What is the motor doing at that time?

it stips but keeps humming.
    Please clarify what you mean by this.

What component is humming?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I think the motor was turning abelt. I'll try it again.

Comment

The motor turns the belt but doesn't agitate. The motor slides freely and the springs push it towards the front. I did have it agitating once by turning the fly weights .

The water pumps out, stops spinning and the motor and belt keep running. The timer must stop working cause the dial stops moving.

Comment

More clarification required

Originally posted by ba_50
          I think the motor was turning a belt.
          IF the motor WAS running but the washer NOT agitating, it would point to a mechanical problem rather than an electrical one.

The only mechanical problems I can think of that could prevent agitation even though the motor is operating and turning the belt is a problem inside the transmission, the agitator not attached tightly to the transmission shaft, the pulley slipping on the motor (which should also affect spinning) or the belt slipping (which should also affect spinning). The latter two are very unlikely if the washer is still capable of spinning.

BTW. A washer does not "spin" the water out. There is a pump that pumps the water out. Spinning and agitation (aka wash) are each separate functions even if they might occur at the same time.

Please clarify exactly what is or is not occurring.

Dan O.
          Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The barrel spins and the water is pumped out. The tub stops after the water is out but the motor keeps running.

Comment

Still questions :/

The tub stops after the water is out but the motor keeps running.
              Does the machine ever agitate? It should do that before spinning and draining.

The motor turns the transmission pulley one direction for agitate (wash) and then reverses and turns the transmission pulley the opposite way for spin. The motor will also turn the pump to drain any water the whole time turning in the spin direction via a second belt.

The machine doesn't know when water has been removed from the machine. It will pump/spin until the motor stops turning in the spin direction.

Someone can try manually turning the transmission pulley in each direction to see what occurs. It will be difficult to turn in the spin direction since it will also be turning the inner tub. It will be easier to turn in the agitate direction at which time you can check if the agitator agitates back and forth like it should.

The tub stops after the water is out but the motor keeps running.
              I don't see how that is possible. The motor should run until the timer advances to the OFF position at the end of the cycle or until another wash or rinse function of the cycle begins. It should spin until the motor stops turning in that direction.

The motor could seize up (cease to move) and still hum until the end of the cycle according to the timer position within the cycle. I don't see how it would stop spinning if the motor was still turning in the spin direction.

You can read about that Maytag washer design and its functioning at the following link.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Maytag 'Dependable Care' Washer

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 08-20-2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking the timer quit at that point since the push button dial quit moving.

Yes I had it agitating once by hand turning the flyweights.

Comment

Please clarify all the symptoms

Why don't you start from the top by listing all the complaint symptom(s) again.

So far you've said:

1. It does NOT agitate.

2. The water pumps out, stops spinning and the motor and belt keep running.

3. The timer must stop working cause the dial stops moving.

Are any of these description not accurate?

Please keep in mind we need accurate details before any kind of meaningful diagnosis will be able to be supplied. Be certain of the symptoms you report.

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Yes that is about it.
                    Replace the timer and solenoid?

Comment

Call for service?

Yes that is about it. Replace the timer and solenoid?
                      I don't know what solenoid you're referring to.

As I stated, I don't know how it would NOT spin if the motor and belt ARE running. If it doesn't agitate when the motor IS running in the wash direction, you have a transmission problem.

So either some of those statements you've made are not accurate or you have more problems than just the timer.

You might want to consider calling in a technician to look into it for you? There's little use replacing parts on a guess if there may be additional problems.

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I didn't wait long enough for the machine to shut off after the spin cycle and it didn't look like the timer dial was even moving.The tub won't spin unless I help it get stated, It eventually got up to normal speed. When I tried the spin again it still wouldn't start without help. Thought it might loosen itself up.It would agitate by manually moving it back and forth to get it started.Hope that clarifies things better.The tub is rubbing the stationary blue barrel intermittantly. It may not be worth trying to fix.

Comment

it didn't look like the timer dial was even moving.
                          If the timer was not advancing, it is very possibly defective and needs to be replaced or sent away to be rebuilt.

The tub won't spin unless I help it get stated ... It would agitate by manually moving it back and forth to get it started.
                          That might just be caused by the belt slipping but could possibly also be caused by a problem with the motor's start capacitor or a problem with the motor itself.

The tub is rubbing the stationary blue barrel intermittantly.
                          That would have to be investigated.

It may not be worth trying to fix.
                          With the timer also needed, that is a very good possibility.

JMO

Dan O.
                          Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

My two projects are on hold for about 3 months. All my used parts are here in Illinois so maybe I can take some back. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =