Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my oven stopped working

I have a Maytag MEW527DDW wall oven. Yesterday afternoon it worked fine, then last night it stopped heating or broiling. The light still works, the control panel works. Help I really can't afford to buy a new oven right now. Any ideas? Also, we replaced the heating element several months ago...Thank you

how handy are you with tools and are you afraid of electricity?
    reason I say this is because there are tests you could perform both with and without the electric connected.
    do you have a multimeter?

Comment

Not a problem re: electricity or meter...

HayZee518;55308]how handy are you with tools and are you afraid of electricity?
      reason I say this is because there are tests you could perform both with and without the electric connected.
      do you have a multimeter?

Comment

ok, no heat on both elements. you are gonna need to get to the guts of the appliance. since you have lights and control power, those two may feed off one side of the input power. at the terminal strip, what do you read for voltage across the black and red. if this is hard wired, check the output at the circuit breaker without resetting anything.
        if you are reading 110 volts, try resetting the circuit breaker. then read the voltage. the breaker will be either a double pole 40 or 60. if its a double pole you may or may not have two handles on it with a tiebar between them. a double pole breaker can be a double pole with a common trip so you'll only have one handle.

Comment

Still nothing...

Well unfortunately we are getting 110 volts on each leg of the circuit breaker. Even tried resetting it a couple of times and still nothing.

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          ok, no heat on both elements. you are gonna need to get to the guts of the appliance. since you have lights and control power, those two may feed off one side of the input power. at the terminal strip, what do you read for voltage across the black and red. if this is hard wired, check the output at the circuit breaker without resetting anything.
          if you are reading 110 volts, try resetting the circuit breaker. then read the voltage. the breaker will be either a double pole 40 or 60. if its a double pole you may or may not have two handles on it with a tiebar between them. a double pole breaker can be a double pole with a common trip so you'll only have one handle.

Comment

you'll have to seek out a schematic for the oven. see if the controller uses triacs to switch on and off the elements. this could be the problem. old ranges used a turn knob universal control to regulate the oven elements. I'm assuming the elements are ok because you said you changed them 3 months ago, but you might check the voltage across the elements, separately. both legs 240 volts.
            if you had a clamp around ammeter then you could measure the current in each element [if its working]

Comment

Model number incorrect :/

I have a Maytag MEW527DDW
              That model number is incorrect. I found a listing for a model MEW5527DDW. Please double check it.

Yesterday afternoon it worked fine, then last night it stopped heating or broiling.
              Was a self-clean cycle done just prior to this failure?

it stopped heating or broiling. The light still works, the control panel works.
              The elements operate on 240 volts, all the rest of the electrical components on 120 volts only. One leg of the 240 volt power supply may have failed.

I suggest someone test for power where the oven attaches to the house wiring or wall outlet. The following link shows what voltage readings you should expect at a wall outlet for an electric dryer and range.

LINK > Half of Power Out

If the full 240 volts IS present, delving into the oven components may be necessary. The first would usually be the main terminal block where the appliance cord or house wiring connects to the oven's internal wiring.

LINK > MEW5527DDW Main Terminal Block

Next and especially if a clean cycle WAS performed prior to this failure, checking the oven's hi-limit thermostat (see the following link - assuming the actual model number is indeed MEW5527DDW) might be a good next step. I believe it is located inside the console area. Each of its terminal pairs should be able to be tested for continuity.

LINK > MEW5527DDW Hi-Limit Thermostat

If that checks out good, someone may need to confirm if 240 volts is getting to the electronic control.

LINK > MEW5527DDW Electronic Control

If you need further assistance please supply the results of those tests along with the checked appliance model number and we'll see if we can provide further suggestions.

Dan O.
              Appliance411.com
              The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =