Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Gas Range Upper Oven doesn't shut off

I have a Maytag Gemini double gas range, model number MGR6875ADB. One morning I woke up to find that the upper oven never shut off, but the display panel showed that the oven was off. I unplugged the oven and turned the gas off. When I plugged the oven back in later the upper oven automatically turned on and I got the error code 3.1 which is the error "oven temperature sensor upper oven". I replaced the temperature sensor but the oven still automatically lights. I've been trying to figure out what else could be causing the error, and I'm starting to think it might be the oven control board, but I really don't know enough about it to be sure. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thank a lot.

Defective electronic control likely

Originally posted by Kobe80moss
    I have a Maytag Gemini double gas range, model number MGR6875ADB. One morning I woke up to find that the upper oven never shut off, but the display panel showed that the oven was off. I unplugged the oven and turned the gas off.

When I plugged the oven back in later the upper oven automatically turned on
    The only way I can think of that occurring is if one of the relays on the electronic control was shorted, powering that oven circuit continually. That would usually require replacement of the electronic control to correct. Unfortunately, the control used on your model is toward the top end of the replacement part cost scale (see the following link) for such a component. :/

LINK > Maytag MGR6875ADB Electronic Control

I got the error code 3.1 which is the error "oven temperature sensor upper oven". I replaced the temperature sensor but the oven still automatically lights.
    The error display is likely the result of the control detecting the high temperature condition in the oven while the control is set to off. That non sequitur likely triggers the defective sensor fault code. A defective oven sensor would not cause the oven to come on while the control was in the off position. It was likely not needed to be replaced.

BTW. Needless to say, it's likely best if you unplug the range until the condition can be corrected.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 03-25-2015, 11:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

Is there a way that we can check if it is the electric control that is causing the issue? With the part being so expensive, I'd hate to replace it and find out that isn't the problem.

Also, do you know is there any way we can repair the electric control? We have a friend who diagnosis and repairs sensor boards and I'm wondering if it might be worth enlisting his help.

Again thanks for your help so far!

Comment

Electronic control repair service

Is there a way that we can check if it is the electric control that is causing the issue?
        Someone would have to isolate the relay on the control board for the ignitor circuit on that oven and check if power is going though it when the control is set to off.

WARNING: Testing on a 'live' appliance can be dangerous! I do not recommend novices attempt it.

do you know is there any way we can repair the electric control?
        I don't know how capable you are in diagnosing problems in circuit boards without any kind of schematics for it (control schematics are rarely available) but there are a couple of companies that specialize in remanufacturing electronic appliance controls. You can find one of the more popular ones, CoreCentric, at the following link.

LINK > Maytag 5701M802-60 Electronic Control Repair Service

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Great, thank you so much again Dan, you have been extremely helpful!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =