Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a refrigerator water line

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.

I just purchased a "new" home, with a nice GE Profile side-by-side fridge w/ice maker and water dispenser.

The previous owners had an inline water filter installed under the sink, which was probably not changed for years, judging by the looks of the fridge. While replacing the filter I noticed that the inside of the PVC line was also filthy, so I replaced the feed from the valve to the filter, and plan to change the feed from the filter to the fridge.

My question is - how do I go about cleaning the lines inside the fridge?

I noticed that the line runs into the back of the unit, and then up through the corner hinge of the freezer door, right up to the dispenser mechanism. I've already removed and disassembled the dispenser to clean it (also disgustingly dirty) and put it back in place, but I won't dare use it until I feel comfortable about the inside lines.

Can I somehow run a cleaning solution through it, or must I disassemble the entire fridge door?

Thanks again!

Dominick
    I wouldn't use any type chemical cleaner(s) But I would remove the inlet water line to the appliance and flush it or replace it.

Possible the flushing can be done once the line is disconnected by simply turning the water on while having a pan or bucket to catch the out coming water in.

If the door has to be removed to flush the line, may be good idea to just replace the line completely. The needed parts can be purchased to do this repair.

Once any repair is done, be sure to test for any water leaks before reassembling the door, etc. Not doing so would than require the disassembly and reassembly to be done again....

Trying To Help You Too.
    Good Luck.
    ApplianceTech2
    Natural & Propane Gas Appliance Service Rep.
    Good Luck.
    ApplianceTech2
    Natural & Propane Gas Appliance Repair Consultation Service Rep.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =