Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown disposal motor?

I have returned from a vacation and tried to use my garbage disposal, but nothing. All I get is a low hum. I used the allen wrench and it turns freely. I tried pushing the reset button, but nothing, it won't push in. The circuit breaker is fine. Any suggestions with this? I have read that the motor may be blown. How long is the average life span? This is a Kitchen Aid about 12 years old. Thanks for your help!

Scott

Motor may be just fine. There is a coupling connector between the motor shaft and the cutting heads. Sperate the motor from the stationary part in the sink.

Connection coupling between the two parts likely busted. Can be purchased and replaced. Part should be available at some hardware stores or local appliance part stores. Check the phone book for local appliance parts stores or online if there are any online for that brand and model of disposal.

Trying To Help You Too.
    Good Luck.
    ApplianceTech2
    Natural & Propane Gas Appliance Service Rep.
    Good Luck.
    ApplianceTech2
    Natural & Propane Gas Appliance Repair Consultation Service Rep.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion App. Tech 2. Since this will be my first time dismantling a disposal, is it fairly straight forward?

Comment

Scott

Humor:
        Not exactly straight forward but it is upwards under the sink...

There will be screws or nuts holding the motor assemble to the cutting head. Usually not to difficult to remove. Access is allows difficult inside the lower cabinet and the amount of space to work in usually not roomy.

However, determination, some common hand tools, a flashlight or some type of lighting and some body angle twisting will accomplish the task. Be sure to unscrew the screws or trun the holding nuts (whichever is used) carefully so as not to break or bust any off.

Which is always possible. Which complicates and compounds an already existing problem and the ammount of time and work required. Often times one expresses words not heard in a long time that contain 4 letters or begin with Ahhh S... or M/F

Helping You Too.
        Good Luck.
        ApplianceTech2
        Natural & Propane Gas Appliance Service Rep.
        Use Logic and Common Sense When All Else Fails
        Good Luck.
        ApplianceTech2
        Natural & Propane Gas Appliance Repair Consultation Service Rep.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =