Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maytag gas dryer will not heat - easy repair?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag gas dryer will not heat - easy repair?

My 16 year old Maytag gas dryer (DG590) will not heat. I had a technician look at it and he said it was a bad ignitor probably due to the way the dryer ventilation system was set-up. The ignitor is available online for only $25 yet the technician quoted me $80 for parts and another $80 for labor.

My question is how easy is it for a novice to replace a bad ignitor?
    Also, would I need any unique tools for this repair besides a standard screwdriver and pliers? Is a multitester required?

Thanks for your help!

** My question is how easy is it for a novice to replace a bad ignitor? **

Once you get to it, it isn't usually a difficult job to replace. It's usually just held in place by 1-screw and it just plugs into the dryer's wiring.

** The ignitor is available online for only $25 yet the technician quoted me $80 for parts **

Are you sure that was all he was going to replace for $80?

BTW. The ignitor for your model can be purchased for less than $20 (see the following link).

- Maytag DG590 Burner Ignitor
    LINK > http://tinyurl.com/8hfnc

JFYI

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

agree, the ignitor is an easy fix. Usually just getting to the thing is the hardest part. Just remember, if you change it:

-disconnect the power first(un plug it)
      -be very gentle with the new ignitor, they are very easy to break.
      -check the condition of the belt, on a 16 year old unit it needs replacing I'm sure
      -clean the whole thing good, vent system and all.
      -inspect the rollers, belt guide, etc too.

Comment

Originally posted by JCA1
        agree, the ignitor is an easy fix. Usually just getting to the thing is the hardest part. Just remember, if you change it:

-disconnect the power first(un plug it)
        -be very gentle with the new ignitor, they are very easy to break.
        -check the condition of the belt, on a 16 year old unit it needs replacing I'm sure
        -clean the whole thing good, vent system and all.
        -inspect the rollers, belt guide, etc too.
        Thanks for all of the tips. I know the belt was changed a few years ago but I will inspect it again. I will let you know the result.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O.
          ** My question is how easy is it for a novice to replace a bad ignitor? **

Once you get to it, it isn't usually a difficult job to replace. It's usually just held in place by 1-screw and it just plugs into the dryer's wiring.

** The ignitor is available online for only $25 yet the technician quoted me $80 for parts **

Are you sure that was all he was going to replace for $80?

BTW. The ignitor for your model can be purchased for less than $20 (see the following link).

- Maytag DG590 Burner Ignitor
          LINK > http://tinyurl.com/8hfnc

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~
          It was approximately $80 for parts, I was quoted $168 total and that includes a $20 service call fee and then labor for the repair and the only part was a bad ignitor.
          Thanks for the link and your advice!

Comment

Repair complete!

Thanks for your help. The repair was easy however I did shatter the old ignitor as I was taking it out, so that forced me to be very careful in putting in the new ignitor. I also checked and replaced the vent since it was filled with lint.

Thanks,
            Brig

Comment

Dryer vent

Glad to hear you got it going. Yes, those ignitors are brittle and are easily broken.

BTW. If lint is accumulating in the vent ducting, often it is a sign of poor venting which could be very dangerous... more so on a gas dryer.

You can read a bit about dryer venting at the following link.

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com
              =D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by brig
                My 16 year old Maytag gas dryer (DG590) will not heat. I had a technician look at it and he said it was a bad ignitor probably due to the way the dryer ventilation system was set-up. The ignitor is available online for only $25 yet the technician quoted me $80 for parts and another $80 for labor.

My question is how easy is it for a novice to replace a bad ignitor?
                Also, would I need any unique tools for this repair besides a standard screwdriver and pliers? Is a multitester required?

Thanks for your help!
                I just wanted to comment about how it has always bothered me that most licensed contractors do not truly level with people. They try to make it look like their labor rate isn't TOO out of bounds by jacking up parts that they buy at WHOLESALE and charge like double the retail price! What a sham!

Also consider that there is a universal HSI ignitor on the market now that costs more but is of the latest technology and you can even handle it with oily fingers and not cause burn out and they last longer. I just recently installed one that the licensed furnace guy I know sold me and he told me that he is now only going to be installing these.

Comment

I just want to say a big thanks. I saved over $120 (thats what sears was going to charge just to walk thru the door). My Maytag dryer too failed to pump out heat. I opted for the regular igniter instead of the HSI version (couldn't really find one). But it really took my all of 10 minutes to put in.

Defenitly going to bookmark this site. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =