Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whirlpool dryer LER4634EZ1 won't start

We have the above dryer. A couple of days ago it would squeal after being on for a bit. I'm assuming it would then get too hot and shut itself off. Once it cooled down it would restart again. Today it did the same thing except it took a long time for it to restart. It is squealing considerably even right from start-up. Any ideas? Thanks, Greg
    Last edited by gregthomas; 02-06-2006, 08:18 PM.

Yes. Motor bearings, roller bearings, idler (belt tensioner) pulley bearing is going/gone...or perhaps a sock got caught up in the blower wheel.

Access and identify.

Disconnect the dryer belt and run beltless and see if the motor runs fine without squeeling. That could then eliminate the motor bearing or a clog in the blower wheel.

Try to spin the tensioner pulley while the belt is off and see if it is seized.

If it is beyond these things, you wil need to remove the drum, which is easy. You already have the belt disconnected. Remove the front panel and remove the drum. On some you have to lift up in the rear before it will release form a cup socket bearing at the rear. So you lift the rear upward as you pull the drum straight out. Then see if you have bad rear roller bearings. (Note: If your dryer has these rear rollers, then you do not have the center rear bearing socket. But lifting the rear up some still helps as these rollers follow a grove in the back of the drum.)

(I am a cracker-jack dryer dismantler, where I have had all the pieces out, plenty of times. I have even changed motors out in them...let alone belts, pulleys, tensioners, felt gaskets, teflon glides, heating elements, splicing in new wire, etc., and even repainting them.)

Vacuum all the lint out of the dryer while apart, as lint catches fire like gasoline or sawdust does! *I* had a lint fire in my own dryer once while drying clothes when I went to bed, and my 2 detectors went off! Luckily just the lint burned up and nothing else. But...entire houses have burned to the ground due to these lint fires! Many times!

Comment

More questions......

Thanks. I pulled off the back and top of the dryer to see if something was "catching" or seizing but I couldn't get to anything except the element or the exhaust as well as see the top of the drum. I didn't remove either of these covers for the time being. Whats the easiest way to get to the motor/pulley etc. to see if I may have seized bearings or something? With the top off, I pushed the start button and it really looked like there was some severe "drag" on the drum. It looked like something was bogging down the drum as it tried to turn. Thanks, Greg

Comment

I got it apart and back together, now what?

I disassembled the dryer and still couldn't figure it out. The 2 roller wheels spin freely, the tensioner roller spins freely and when I turn the motor by hand it seems to spin freely. I also reached in to the blower through the back of the dryer and it seems to spin freely also. I reconnected everything and it ran for about 20 minutes then shut off again. It is running a little noisier than before the problems started but its not squeaking like it was. There is a slight electrical burning smell when it shuts off. Does this help? Thanks, Greg

Comment

I took it to the repair shop yesterday. He says the bearings in the motor are shot. Any ideas? Is the only solution a new motor? If so, it's 130 bucks on top of the 28 dollar shop fee I've already paid so I think I'd rather spend the extra 100 bucks or so for a new one. Give me some feedback. Thanks, Greg

Comment

Whirlpool dryer motor replacement

Originally posted by gregthomas
            the bearings in the motor are shot. Any ideas? Is the only solution a new motor?
            Yes. The motors used in appliance today are basically throw-away. They can not usually be repaired like older ones could possibly be.

If so, it's 130 bucks
            The motor used on your model dryer is fairly common and can be had for cheaper like at the following link:

LINK > Whirlpool LER4634EZ1 Dryer Motor

how difficult the job is.
            The most difficult parts are often removing the clamps holding the motor to its base and removing the fan (which screws on with a left hand thread). Sometimes the fan can be stuck on real good and need to be cut or broken to get them off and then just replaced.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site
            =D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks. I found a brand new motor (whirlpool motor, new in box, same part number) on ebay for less than 50 bucks including shipping. We're currently borrowing an extra dryer my in-laws have and it works great. I get the feeling my wife is leaning towards using this one until she can get a new set, uhm, a new washer and dryer. I, on the other hand, would rather spend the 50 bucks and fix this one. I wonder who'll win. Thanks for all the input. I'll give an update if I end up fixing this one. Thanks, Greg

Comment

Working...
              X
              =