Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool refrigerator not giving Ice or water

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator with a model number of ED25TQXFW00 and about 3 years ago the water dispensor quit. That wasn't a huge deal, but last week the ice maker quit making ice. The ice mold just never gets any water in it. That leads me to believe that the Solenoid has gone bad. This particular Solenoid has 2 sides (it is a dual Solenoid). My theory is that one side went out a few years ago and the other side died last week. Does anyone agree with my theory?
    Thanks

Sure. Does anybody else want to second the motion? LOL.

You should be able to volt meter test that solenoid.

Working on icemaker equipment is something I have never really had to do, so far. But if confronted with it, I have enough knowledge in the workings of voltages, continuity, wiring diagrams/sequencing, relays, etc., that I know I could figure it out.

First you need to know if you even have power getting to the solenoild(s). Then, if you DON'T... you have to ask yorself if that is normal during certain times. For example...we know the machine is not ALWAYS making ice. Therefore, you have to ask yourself how the icemaker knows when to and when NOT to make the ice. When it "calls" for ice to be made, then we know that it wil send current to where it has to go, only for the time needed to make ice.

We also can assume that if there is no water to make the ice, the machine will know that, through some device, one would think, and not send current to make ice when it knows it can't make ice.

It's these types of things you have to be able to ask and tell yourself when tryind to diagnose things.

There should be a schematic in the unit, probably behind the bottom grill.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck.

Comment

fill tube?

Originally posted by bandit69
      My theory is that one side went out a few years ago and the other side died last week. Does anyone agree with my theory?
      While it certainly may be a possibility, I would say such an occurrence is very rare. Each side of the water valve performs a separate function and other than both being in the same plastic housing and passing the same water, have nothing in common with each other that would caused them to wear out at the same (or near) time. JMO

For the icemaker not filling, a common cause is just the 'fill tube' that goes through the rear of the cabinet freezing closed. If that's not it, testing the water valve and its power supply may be necessary as Phelps suggested.

LINK > How do I test water fill valves?

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =