Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice maker problem

Hello,

I have an old Whirlpool refrigerator with the ice maker in the top freezer section. The icemaker has worked flawlessly until a few days ago when it just stopped making ice. I figured out that the in-line water filter was more than a year old and had stopped supplying water (nothing came out when I removed the outlet connection and restarted the water supply, but the new filter did). So I figured that having changed the filter all would again be well. Wrong, unfortunately.

Ever since it stopped making ice, the unit makes more or less continuous click-like sounds as though it's trying to do something like eject ice - but nothing happens.

I tried filling the mold with water (no change). Used a hair dryer on the inlet tube in case it was frozen (no change). Lifted the on/off wire and let the unit settle down overnight thinking this might help (it didn't).

I read here that activating the unit in test mode (with an insulated wire) might do the trick. Can anyone tell me if this is advisable (or does the clicking noise mean the unit is already active)?

Is there anything else I can try before calling in the repairman or, more likely, just buying a new refrigerator? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

More information...

** I have an old Whirlpool refrigerator **

That is of little help to identify the exact appliance in question. What is needed is its complete model number as was noted in the first forum message:

LINK > Sticky: Please include Make and Model # in post

** the unit makes more or less continuous click-like sounds **

From where *exactly*?

You can read about common fridge sounds at the following link:

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

** I tried filling the mold with water (no change). **

Did it freeze???

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

What is needed is its complete model number as was noted in the first forum message
      // It's a Whirlpool ET18GK. The label says "accepts ICEMAGIC icemaker," which I'm assuming is the installed unit - I'm not the original owner so I don't know for sure.

** the unit makes more or less continuous click-like sounds **
      From where *exactly*?
      // From inside the motor/gearbox casing, i.e. directly behind the white cover in the front. It's not really a clicking sound though. Very hard to describe. It sounds like "gears are meshing trying to make ice." It's mostly a continuous noise stopping periodically, for up to a minute or so, and then starts chirping away again. It continues to make noise whether the wire is up or down. I expected it would stop altogether with the wire up (which I left up overnight). Maybe the icemaker thinks it has a batch to expel and, otherwise, would have shut off? BTW, this noise is NORMAL. The icemaker would periodically make exactly these sounds shortly before ejecting a load of ice. The problem is that it's mostly continuous now, and no ice is produced.

** I tried filling the mold with water (no change). **
      Did it freeze???
      Yes. The freezer is definitely cold enough.

Thanks for your help Dan O. !!

lloyd
      Last edited by lmerriam; 02-24-2006, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Incomplete information

** It's a Whirlpool ET18GK **

That is only part of a model number. I guess you didn't get it off the appliance's model and serial number tag as the previous forum message suggested?

Here are some possible complete model numbers your partial information matches. There may be others as well.

ET18GKXBN00 ET18GKXBW00 ET18GKXDN00 ET18GKXDN01 ET18GKXDN03 ET18GKXDN05 ET18GKXDW00 ET18GKXDW01 ET18GKXDW03 ET18GKXDW05 ET18GKXEN00 ET18GKXEW00 ET18GKXFN00 ET18GKXFN01 ET18GKXFW00 ET18GKXFW01 ET18GKXGN00 ET18GKXGN01 ET18GKXGN02 ET18GKXGW00 ET18GKXGW01 ET18GKXGW02 ET18GKXHN00 ET18GKXHT00 ET18GKXHT01 ET18GKXHW00 ET18GKXHW01 ET18GKXSF02 ET18GKXSF03 ET18GKXSF04 ET18GKXSF05 ET18GKXSF06 ET18GKXSF07 ET18GKXSF0A ET18GKXSF0B ET18GKXSG02 ET18GKXSG03 ET18GKXSG04 ET18GKXSG05 ET18GKXSG06 ET18GKXSG07 ET18GKXSG0A ET18GKXSG0B ET18GKXSM02 ET18GKXSM03 ET18GKXSM04 ET18GKXSM05 ET18GKXSM06 ET18GKXSM07 ET18GKXSM0A

Which one is yours?

** makes more or less continuous click-like sounds... From inside the motor/gearbox casing **

Of the icemaker or some other part of the refrigerator??

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

problem solved!

Dan,
          Thanks again for writing to me. I called a local appliance repair shop to get a quote. When I described the problem he said he'd bet that the inlet tube had iced up and suggested I remove the plastic hose from the back of the frig and blow to see if the inlet was obstructed. It was. So I used a hair dryer to blow hot air through it for about five minutes. That melted the ice in the line and all is well. Lucky me!
          lloyd

Comment

Fill tube iced up

Originally posted by lmerriam
            the inlet tube had iced up. So I used a hair dryer to blow hot air through it for about five minutes. That melted the ice in the line and all is well.
            When you originally stated "Used a hair dryer on the inlet tube in case it was frozen", I assumed you made sure it was completely free.

BTW. The icemaker inlet fill tube freezing closed is often a sign that the water fill valve is allowing water to trickle through (ie. the water valve not closing tightly). If it blocks up again, some further investigation will likely be necessary to find the actual cause so it can be corrected once and for all.

Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            =D~~~~~~
            Last edited by Dan O.; 12-25-2008, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =