Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal replacement tips

Everyone feel free to add your own tips...

1. A automobile screw jack (what you use to change tires with) can hold the heavy disposal while you unscrew off the old one or on with the new.

2. InSinkErator makes an accessory "flexible discharge tube" (cheap, under $10), with four way adjustment to run from the disposal output hole to the P-Trap. 1 rotates, 2. length expands or contracts. 3. twists 4. offsets.

If the new disposal isn't same dimensioned as the old one, the standard rigid discharge tube in the package might not mate up with your pipes. Although usually the under sink pipes, if plastic, can slide up down / in out and so there's a very good chance you won't need this flex tube.

3. My new Badger 5 didn't have the conduit type screw-in clamp which holds the electrical wires tightly to the bottom of the disposal case (for fire safety!). Luckily the old disposal was also an In Sink Erator and so I used the old clamp. Also there were no new plastic wire nuts to join the wires, I used the ones which were inside the old disposal.

Otherwise I would have to have gone to the store's elec supply aisle and fiound a conduit clamp the right size and wire nuts exactly the right size, and electrical tape to wrap around the wire nuts. Either that or buy the alternate InSinkErator packaging which has the cord pre-installed (read the outside of the box to see which type you are buying, cord or no cord).

But I think the pre-wired cord would not have the male 3 prong plug attached, (but only bare wires at one end because sometimes it wires to a switch instead of an outlet box). I would have to have found that elec aisle anyhoo for to buy a plug ;(.

4) InSinkErator's have a fitting on the bottom where a standard wrench fits to manually rotate the blades to clear a jam quickly. Most other brands don't.

From my own experience, I have had no problems with change outs. Everything is pretty standard in this industry. I just switched from an ISE to an Emerson yesterday and parts swap out due to Emersom bought out ISE. A week earlier, I changed out a Whirlaway to a GE.

Several brands have the center allen hole in bottom of disposer that allows you to turn with the wrench.

I have never had a problem regarding that drain pipe section they give you. I have already had to cut a little bit off of them to get them to be the right height to make the p-trap hookup work.

The electrical wire access plate and hookups are pretty standard. On some models that have the rubber grommet attached to the cord, where there is no metal romex wire strain relief, you can force the grommet out of the hole and reuse the cord. If your model had no such rubber grommet, just install a the strain relief.

As far as holding up the unit to drop the old one or raise the new...I guess I haven't experienced difficulty here. Maybe for the heavier 3/4 hp ones, a tip like yours might come in handy. Or, maybe get somebody to help you. I usually just put in the 1/2 hp ones and have no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Phelps
      I have had no problems with change outs. Everything is pretty standard in this industry.
      Not really but there are only 2 domestic garbage disposers manufacturers these days, In-Sink-Erator and Anaheim Manufacturing (see the following link).

LINK > Appliance411 on Garbage Disposals

I just switched from an ISE to an Emerson yesterday and parts swap out due to Emerson bought out ISE.
      Emerson has always been the patent company of In-Sink-Erator AFAIK. The different brand names are usually just sold through different distribution channels and may have different warranties or features - Emerson being the lower end line

A week earlier, I changed out a Whirlaway to a GE.
      Both made by Anaheim Manufacturing which is why they were likely very similar and would likely install in a similar fashion. Anaheim Manufacturing also makes Bone Crusher and Waste King brand garbage disposals.

Several brands have the center allen hole in bottom of disposer that allows you to turn with the wrench.
      Yes, any product made by ISE (whichever brand name is on it). I do not know of any other make that has that feature, either currently or in the past.

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =