Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badger 5 grinder replacement

I saw an earlier post about garbage disposer functions & learned that the impellers only move food to the grinders, which are located on the sides of the grinding wheel. (I think this is what was said) My question is, my ISE Badger 5 is not grinding like it used to. Everything spins, & most stuff goes down the drain, but some stuff just doesn't get ground up, & so we have to run the grinder more often & longer to get it to clear so the sink will drain properly. 1) Is this most likely due to worn grinders? 2) If so, are they (it) replaceable, or is the best solution to replace the whole unit? In the few sites that have exploded parts diagrams, none show the grinding unit. One has this part, called "shredder, rotor" (http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=1019161), but from the description on this site, it may only be the "impeller." Any advice is most welcome! Thanks in advance.

todd

** ISE Badger 5 is not grinding like it used to. Is this most likely due to worn grinders? **

That is a likely cause on well used units.

** If so, are they (it) replaceable **

Usually but would depend on the *exact* model number from the side of the unit by the serial number (see the following link). There have been numerous Badger 5 units made over the years, each utilizing different parts.

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

** or is the best solution to replace the whole unit? **

For cheap disposal models, that is often the most economical route.

** In the few sites that have exploded parts diagrams, none show the grinding unit. **

There is no such thing as a "grinding unit".

** One has this part, called "shredder, rotor" **

On ISE built models the rotating shredder (spinning part) forces food against the "stationary shredder" (serrated part around the edge) to grind the food. Both/either can become worn, reducing grinding ability or just the 'hammers' of the rotating shredder get jammed up or break off and/or the stationary shredder get plugged up with food particles.

LINK > Product Showcase: Garbage Disposer
    LINK > The Purchase: Garbage Disposal

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

thanks for the info

My specific model # is 5-38. So, if the "grinder" is stationary, is it replaceable? That does sound like a chore. The rotating shredder [I]seems[I] to be ok, the hammers move freely & there's no excessive noise. It just leaves bits & pieces, more so for things like lettuce, celery, & orange peels, but these things used to grind thru very nicely. So, back to the question underlying all others, is it possible & worthwhile to repair this unit, or a better use of time & money, (since time=money so often), to just replace it. I was reading on one site that a new Badger 5 is touted as being able to grind up chicken bones. I can't imagine trying that w/this one. Thanks again for the info.

todd

Comment

** if the "grinder" is stationary, is it replaceable? **

The stationary shredder IS usually replaceable (as is the rotating shredder) although on your model stationary shredder looks to be part of the "upper end bell asm." part # 8492 and not a separate part as it is on most other ISE models.

** That does sound like a chore. **

It is. There are also special tools to disassemble units to that point although I have been told it can be done without them although I've never seen it done that way myself.

** is it possible & worthwhile to repair this unit **

IF the upper end bell is actually needed to be replaced, I'm afraid it doesn't look to be available any longer for your model. In that case, replacing the whole disposal is likely the only course of action left.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =