Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Refrigerator - Puddle to Moisture Question

Monday nite I came home from work and saw a puddle of water in front of a 4 year old Maytag Refrigerator. There is no ice maker in the freezer and the water is not connected up. In the freezer - the back wall had frost all over it.
    Water dripping from the front door of the freezer. This is a freezer on the top and refrig on the bottom (not side by side).
    Tech came out Tues and said it was autodefrost thermostat and timer.
    He replaced. Had the refrig/freezer open about 45 min to open up the back wall of the interior to replace the part.
    Tues nite I noticed water again from the freezer door dripping down the refrig to the floor. Called the appliance company. The said wait till 7pm and see if it is still leaking - that the refrig/freezer has to cycle -
    Well by 7pm no real leaking any more but did notice moisture (a few small drops) on the underside of the freezer door by the rubber seal portion of the door. Put a paper towel between the freezer and refrig door to see if there would still be water coming from there this morning. The paper towel was damp this am. When I called the Service this am - they said wait 24 hrs and see if there is still moisture. Does this make sense? Did the first problem cause the rubber seal to dislodge and I have a new problem? Any questions I can answer to suggestions?

** 4 year old Maytag Refrigerator. **

I'm afraid that doesn't help us to know what design of Maytag refrigerator you're dealing with. Please post its complete model number as found on the appliance's model and serial number identification tag.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

** In the freezer - the back wall had frost all over it. **

That sounds like it may be signs of a defrost system problem (see the following link).

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

** Water dripping from the front door of the freezer... **

That could be caused by a plugged defrost water drain (see the following link).

LINK > My fridge is leaking water, what might the problem be?

** Put a paper towel between the freezer and refrig door to see if there would still be water coming from there this morning. The paper towel was damp this am. **

Moisture forming on the mullion could be caused by a defective mullion heater (if it is electric on whatever model of fridge you have) or possibly leaking door seals.

It might also be getting there due to a plugged defrost water drain system in the freezer compartment. Any ice at the bottom of the freezer compartment?

** said wait till 7pm and see if it is still leaking - When I called the Service this am - they said wait 24 hrs and see if there is still moisture. **

Was this a Maytag *factory authorized* service depot???

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Response

Its a Maytag Performa Refrigerator

Model Number PTB19BBGRB

I agree - there was a defrost problem. After the Serviceman
      replaced the auto defroster thermostat/timer - there was no frost on
      the back wall of the freezer.

The water was dripping down from the freezer door onto the exterior door
      of the refrigerator - that was why i did not think it was a clogged drain - if the drain was clogged the water would be seen inside the refrig not on the exterior???????

There was minimal frost on the bottom of the freezer - most was on the back wall of the freezer.

I was wondering the same - if the problem is with the door seal. Is there any way to check that?

Yes as far as I know it was a authorized technician - but if it is still leaking tonite I might try someone else........

Comment

** The water was dripping down from the freezer door onto the exterior door of the refrigerator **

But where is it originating from???

** if the drain was clogged the water would be seen inside the refrig not on the exterior? **

Not if the drain was blocked in such a way that it couldn't get there. But in such a case water (turned to ice) would likely be noticeable on the floor of the freezer... which is why I asked.

** Maytag refrigerator model number PTB19BBGRB **

I don't see an electric mullion heater used on that model so it being defective should not be the cause of moisture forming on the mullion between the doors.

** if the problem is with the door seal. Is there any way to check that? **

You can try holding a dollar bill between the seal and the cabinet and closing the door. If there is no tension on the bill as it is pulled out (with the door still closed), it might be a sign or poor sealing. Repeat all around the gasket area. It is not a absolute indicator but might show some glaring problem areas.

Alternatively, if you have a battery operated lantern, you can try turning it on and putting it inside the compartment. Turn off the room lights (it would probably have to be done at night) and inspect for light leakage around the seal.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

** The water was dripping down from the freezer door onto the exterior door of the refrigerator **

But where is it originating from???
          #### It was coming from the freezer section

** if the drain was clogged the water would be seen inside the refrig not on the exterior? **

Not if the drain was blocked in such a way that it couldn't get there. But in such a case water (turned to ice) would likely be noticeable on the floor of the freezer... which is why I asked.
          #### Not alot on the floor of the freezer, the frost was really on the back
          #### wall of the freezer

** Maytag refrigerator model number PTB19BBGRB **

I don't see an electric mullion heater used on that model so it being defective should not be the cause of moisture forming on the mullion between the doors.

** if the problem is with the door seal. Is there any way to check that? **

You can try holding a dollar bill between the seal and the cabinet and closing the door. If there is no tension on the bill as it is pulled out (with the door still closed), it might be a sign or poor sealing. Repeat all around the gasket area. It is not a absolute indicator but might show some glaring problem areas.

Alternatively, if you have a battery operated lantern, you can try turning it on and putting it inside the compartment. Turn off the room lights (it would probably have to be done at night) and inspect for light leakage around the seal.
          ####
          #### Thanks, will try this tonite.
          ####
          #### The good news was no water drip or moisture from the freezer section
          #### on the paper towel nor on the floor last nite when I got home.
          #### Also nothing this morning when I left the house.
          #### Also no frost in the freezer section.
          #### So crossing
          #### My fingers its fixed.
          ####
          #### Thanks for the idea - will try to validate the seal tonite
          ####

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =