Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing a GE Profile Wall Oven - Any Suggestions?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a GE Profile Wall Oven - Any Suggestions?

We bought a new home a few months ago (new to us, about 12 yrs old though) and my wife wants to get a new oven. The existing oven is nice, but it's a GE Profile oven that is "built into" the lower kitchen cupboard--it cooks pretty well but is just too darn small. I guess this would be considered a Wall Oven. The cooktop is smooth and is fitted inside the countertops . . . looks like it just drops in and may pull right out. I tried to post a picture here--not sure if it worked.

Anyway, is the removal of the profile oven something that should be done by a professional . . . or is it a do-it-yourself kind of thing? The oven my wife wants is a Maytag Gemini convection, so I will also have to cut the countertop to fit the new oven. Eventually, we'll replace the countertops too . . . so it doesn't need to look perfect. I am just trying to figure out if I am going to be getting in over my head if I try this on my own to save some $$.

Any feedback would be welcomed!

Originally posted by TAHUSKER

is the removal of the profile oven something that should be done by a professional
    Not necessarily.

or is it a do-it-yourself kind of thing?
    Probably... depending on the self doing the doing.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Visit the GE website and you can read or download the installation instructions. I suspect it's nothing more than removing a couple of screws.

Comment

GaryS:

I got brave this weekend and took a closer look at this (pulled out the cooktop and looked at how the oven is installed). You are right . . . there are just two screws anchoring the oven into the counter. The oven sits on a makeshift shelf that was built. Looks like it might come out fairly easily, then I would have to cut out the countertop to make room for the new oven.

A couple questions, though:

1. Looks like there are two electrical conduits coming out of the wall, one is wired directly into the romovable cooktop. The other is wired directly into the lower oven itself. There is no "standard plug' for the new oven to plug into. First question, then, is how should I handle the electrical for the cooktop that won't be needed anymore? Can I just install a box and terminate the lines there (and cap them in the box behind the wall)?

2. Is it fairly straightforward to install a plug for the new oven? Or is this stuff better handled by an electrician?

Thanks!

Comment

Electrician

Originally posted by TAHUSKER

Is it fairly straightforward to install a plug for the new oven? Or is this stuff better handled by an electrician?
          Putting an outlet in is likely easy, making sure the circuit for the new appliance is appropriate may not be.

Neither the circuit for the cooktop nor built-in oven alone are likely appropriate for an all-in-one range-type appliance. Check the range's installation instructions for its power requirements and compare that to what already exists in your house.

Usually a cooktop will only have a 30 amp circuit, the oven a 30-40 amp circuit. A range likely needs to be on a 50 amp circuit for today's codes so that will at least require different breakers/fuses and might(?) need upgraded wiring. I doubt you'd need to increase your fuse panel capacity since you're removing enough load to make up for the new range circuit. A *licensed* household electrician will be most familiar with local codes and be able to tell what might need to be done once he's able to see what's there already.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

While

Comment

Working...
          X
          =