Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool dryer repair

I have an electric clothes dryer, about 4 years young, that no longer heats properly. It takes two 60-minute cycles to dry a load of clothes. Does this sound like a heater element issue, thermostat, or something else? How would I repair this if I ordered parts?

Thanks!

Whirlpool model #LER4634JQ1

Dryer vent?

Originally posted by crybaby

electric clothes dryer no longer heats properly. It takes two 60-minute cycles to dry a load of clothes. Does this sound like a heater element issue, thermostat, or something else?
    It could be any of those things (or others) but I would put money on a plugged, partially plugged or poorly installed (see the following link) dryer vent.

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

That is one of the first things which should be inspected and/or cleaned (if it hasn't been done this season yet).

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

thanks

That seems to have done the trick. The vent was not clogged but it was kinked/blocked because something was on the hose. Thanks for the help.

Now I have a question about my dishwasher, which I will post separately.

Comment

Dryer venting

The vent was kinked/blocked because something was on the hose.
        Glad to hear your immediate problem may be solved but it sounds like you may be using flexible vinyl dryer venting?

If so (or even if it is flexible metal venting), I *strongly* suggest you get rid of it before it causes any serious problems!

Rigid metal dryer venting is the only way to go for safety.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. We have a very old stucco house so one of the previous owners created the dryer vent out the basement door by cutting a piece of plywood to replace a glass window panel. A hole was cut in the wood to install the louvered vent. Yes, I know, not too good an idea but it "worked".

We have since had a new dryer outlet installed near an existing basement window so that we can put in a new (proper) vent out the window. Until we actually *do* this, we are using the existing vent with the vinyl vent hose. Any tips you may have for us to do this small project would be greatly appreciated. Is the vinyl a fire hazard, and if so why is it not taken off the market?

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Dryer venting

the previous owners created the dryer vent out the basement door by cutting a piece of plywood to replace a glass window panel. A hole was cut in the wood to install the louvered vent. Yes, I know, not too good an idea but it "worked".
            There should be no problem venting the dryer through one pane of a window provided there is sufficient breathing space round it for the hot, moist exhaust air to dissipate to the outdoor air. I was referring to the type of vent *ducting* being used which should be looked into... sooner, rather then later.

we are using the existing vent with the vinyl vent hose.
            I suggest you get rid of the vinyl ducting in favor of rigid metal ducting.

Is the vinyl a fire hazard, and if so why is it not taken off the market?
            That material *in itself* is not a fire hazard but it can easily lead to such because of how easily it can be bent (each bend reduces air flow) and also be collapsed (often unnoticed), hampering air flow which leads to lint build up in it and/or dryer overheating. Just the corrugated structure of flexible vent material reduces air movement through the venting which facilitates lint accumulations.

That build up and/or reduced air flow creates the very real fire hazard as is described at the previous link I supplied.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Vinyl dryer vent

I'm not sure why the vinyl dryer vent material is still on the market, but I'm pretty sure it does not pass code in some locations. I also seem to remember reading a package of it and it was not recommended for the first 6 feet or so from the dryer. This will keep it from getting too hot, but not solve the problem of blockages. Also it will not help contain a fire if one is started. Don't waste your money on this stuff.
              leone184

Comment

Working...
              X
              =