Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amana Fridge quit cooling!

It is an Amana side by side model#-SXD26VE ~7 years old.
    The other night it made a wierd noise.Went to investigate and everything seemed normal.Lights were working,fan was running and noise stopped.Noise lasted just a few seconds.Next morning noticed it wasn't cooling.Condenser Fan is the only thing running.Freezer Fan and Compressor do not come on.I replaced the Defrost Timer about two years ago.Any suggestions or tips for trouble-shooting failure?

Originally posted by joesowtrout
    Condenser Fan is the only thing running. Freezer Fan and Compressor do not come on. Any suggestions or tips for trouble-shooting failure?
    Normally both fans should run whenever the compressor should be running, they're usually all on the same control circuit. Someone will need to determine why they aren't running.

If it's from a lack of power, someone will likely need to trace where that power stoppage is occurring. I can't think of any component that is in common with both the evaporator fan and compressor but not the condenser fan motor. Check the fridge's wiring diagram for clues *if* lack of power to both is found to be the problem.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Compressor Power !!

Check the fridge's wiring diagram for clues *if* lack of power to both is found to be the problem.
      It seems as if the compressor is getting power but trips out the "overload".It makes a clicking noise then a few seconds later it clicks again.It being the compressor overload.I believe it is thermal overload because i can't find any button to reset.If the condenser fan is bad would it cause this?Thanks for the reply Dan O.

Comment

Compressor 'cycling' on the overload?

It seems as if the compressor is getting power but trips out the "overload".
        That shouldn't affect operation of the evaporator (freezer) fan which you stated wasn't running.

[the compressor overload] makes a clicking noise then a few seconds later it clicks again.
        That will likely be the result of the compressor trying to start up but failing.

I believe it is thermal overload because i can't find any button to reset.
        The round, penny-sized, black disk on the compressor is its overload protector.

If the condenser fan is bad would it cause this?
        If the condenser fan was NOT running when the compressor was, it could cause the compressor to overheat and cut out on the overload protector, yes. Other causes of the overload opening include a defective compressor starting relay, a defective overload protector, poor voltage to the fridge causing excessive amperage draw or a problem in the compressor itself.

Do not allow a compressor to continue to cycle on and off on its overload protector or damage to the compressor can result... if it isn't already the cause. When you hear it occurring, disconnect power from the appliance for 10-15 minutes. If the compressor doesn't start right up once plugged back in, leave the appliance unplugged until the cause can be determined and corrected.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

How do i check those items?

defective compressor starting relay, a defective overload protector
          If those things are bad is there a way to check them?I checked the condenser/freezer fan and it was good.I unhooked the terminals on the fan and wired up power straight to it and it operated.I also checked for continuity across the PTC relay.It had continuity from the power in to the power out on the compressor?Not sure what you call it.Second,I seen the overload protecter-black oval and penny sized-but don't know how or if to reset it?I also plugged in the fridge and had power to the compressor but none coming out.If it is the overload or relay how does it come off?Thanks again Dan O.

Comment

starting relay, overload protector... If those things are bad is there a way to check them?
            Not directly, no. A service technician would usually hook up the compressor directly (bypassing those devices) using a test cord to see if it would run and to check its amperage draw. If those were Ok, the relay and overload would just be assumed to be defective and replaced.

I seen the overload protector-black oval and penny sized-but don't know how or if to reset it?
            It can not be manually reset. It resets on its own... unless defective.

If it is the overload or relay how does it come off?
            They are just pressed onto the compressor's terminals.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =