Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galloping Dryer

Hello,

Our 2 year old Kenmore 70 Series dryer makes a galloping sound when we turn it on. The barrel turns and the heat is there....just makes the noise.

Any ideas?

Appreciate it!
    Busy Mom

Model number?

Originally posted by Busy Mom

2 year old Kenmore 70 Series dryer
    I'm afraid that information is insufficient to identify the design on the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact and complete model number.

makes a galloping sound when we turn it on.
    Some Kenmore models have drum support rollers which if worn could cause a thumping sound as the drum rotates.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

70 Series Kenmore was all the info hubby had given me But no matter cause me thinks you've given me the answer! I was leaning that way....figured it couldn't be the belt as it was still turning and from my experience with our car, belts will usually squeal.

So, the old man gets the task of moving the dryer and getting it's back panel off so we can at least get a better look.

I've got this site bookmarked so we can come back to it...*thumbs up*

Off I go, Thanks Dano!
      *Scampers off talking to self about dastardly water heater*

Comment

Originally posted by Busy Mom

figured it couldn't be the belt as it was still turning and from my experience with our car, belts will usually squeal.
        Unlike automobiles, the belts on dryers rarely (if ever) squeal. And yes, a 'chunk' out of the belt could be responsible for a thumping sound as well. The dryer will actually need to be investigated to locate the source in your case.

the old man gets the task of moving the dryer and getting it's back panel off
        Dryers are often serviced from the front but without the appliance's model number, I couldn't say if that is the case on yours or not.

I've got this site bookmarked so we can come back to it...
        Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Galloping noise may be worn out blower wheel, or....

Hello, Busy Mom. I'm a busy Mom myself, but I was able to save our Maytag dryer about 5 yrs ago. The sound was due to a worn out blower wheel. I bought a replacement for only $25, and my dryer ran like new. Well just a few days ago, it started doing the same noise again. I opened up my dryer to inspect the blower wheel. It seemed to be in good shape, but I felt the O-ring clamp was a little loose. This resulted in the blower wheel not being flush and tight against the blower housing, which was causing this hammering or galloping noise. I just replaced the O-ring clamp with a new one (costs about $1) and voila, runs like new again! Now, the wheel's center hole and the housing's center nut is round but with a flat side. Make sure that the flat side of the nut and the wheel hole are flush and matched before tightening the clamp. I hope this fixes your problem. And I hope my response did not come too late. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =