Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old GE Refrigerator

New to the forum...wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a good site for older refrigerator (1940-1960) repair? Mine is not cooling anymore. I want to know if a) it's something I can do on my own or b) is it going to be difficult to find someone that can repair it?

Just in case anyone is interested, I think it's an early 1950s GE refrigerator. I've not been able to find a proper repository of refrigerator information. So, I'm not exactly sure of its age. I inherited it from the previous owner of a house that built it into a bar.

More details

** I want to know if a) it's something I can do on my own **

A first step will be determining the trouble. If you post its exact symptoms, we may be able to suggest a course of action.

It might also help if you posted the refrigerator's model number as well (although being that age range, I'm not positive it will help). You can find some tips for locating the model number identification tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

** or b) is it going to be difficult to find someone that can repair it? **

It depends on what turns out to be the problem with it. Any appliance service technician should be able to look at it. If it needs parts, finding them may be something else.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

If you don't have an EPA certification to perform refrigeration work, freon recovery etc. then I wouldn't even attempt it. Units back then use R-12 or R-22 as a refrigerant and both of those are now federally regulated. There was a time you could buy a 10 lb cylinder from Grainger for about 100 bucks, now you can't even find it except on the black market and you'll pay in excess of 500 bucks for a tank of it.

Comment

As far as the problem, it rolls out like this...

Essentially, it is no longer cooling consistently. When we bought the house, it would cool, as it should. Over the course of the last year, or so, the temperature setting (the dial for which is located in a small freezer compartment within the refrigerator not separate from) would not produce the same results. At one setting, it would cool for a sufficient amount of time. In order for it to cool again, it necessitated a lower temperature setting (more towards freeze than cool). As a result, it inched from the mid-point when we bought the house and has now reached the end of it's rope. Periodically, it will activate if you turn the dial back a setting and then return it to the end. The equivalent of turning your old tube TV off and then on again.

I am mostly certain that it's not a broken dial. The dial reacts as it should.

As far as the model number, I can't seem to find anything that is recognizable. AC 82 CA1003091016 is the closest thing I can find. It's on a stamp underneath the main cooling area next to, what I would guess, would be the compressor. Honestly, I can't even find a picture of this thing on the internet.

I am far from a certified technician. So, that option is out.

Thanks for your help.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by haferjd
          I am mostly certain that it's not a broken dial. The dial reacts as it should.
          It wouldn't be the dial as it doesn't do anything mechanically but it could be the control (aka thermostat) behind the dial.

The thermostat senses a temperature and turns the compressor on and off to achieve cooling. If it has had to be set colder and colder to control that cooling, it may not have lost its calibration and need to be replaced.

As far as the model number, I can't seem to find anything that is recognizable. AC 82 CA1003091016 is the closest thing I can find.
          I'm afraid without a proper model number, there's no way for anyone to look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with. If you really want it fixed, you may have to call in a professional to look at it for you. Sorry.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks. I believe I had resigned myself to just that end result.

Comment

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =