Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Zero Refrig cooling problem

I have an old Sub Zero 24" under counter all-refrig (model 249RP) bought in 1982 that won't stay running long enough to cool. I can twist the temp control back and forth and the motor will start. The grid in the back of the box starts to get cold immediately, so I think the coolant is ok. Once or twice it has actually cooled a couple of canned sodas down pretty well, but the rest of the time the motor shuts off before the box cools down and won't restart until I twist the knob again. I have vacuumed the cooling coils although they didn’t look too dirty. Does this sound like a thermostat or switch problem? Because the unit is pretty old, I would not want to do major surgery, but if it's a matter of replacing a minor part or two, I would like to try. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

peteW

Cold Control?

Originally posted by peteW

I can twist the temp control back and forth and the motor will start.
    JFYI. You should not try to restart a refrigerator compressor immediately after shut down. The compressor needs to stay off for 10-15 minutes to allow the refrigerant gas pressures inside the unit to equalize, before the compressor will start back up again.

won't restart until I twist the knob again. Does this sound like a thermostat or switch problem?
    If the control has to be tampered with in order to get the compressor running, it may have 'sticking' contacts and need to be replaced, yes.

LINK > Sub Zero 249RP Thermostat (aka 'cold control')

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, Dan

Appreciate your input, especially the part about not trying to start the refrig immediately after shutdown. I'll get the part and give er a go.
      Pete

Comment

A test sometimes employed to check for sticking control contacts is to gently tap (not rotate) the control knob when it should be running but isn't. If the compressor then starts right up, it is a pretty good (although not perfect) sign the control's contacts may be sticking.

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks again!

I tapped the control and it fired right up. I'm going to order the part and get ,er done! Thanks!
          Pete

Comment

To Dan O

Hi Dan: Got the part yesterday, installed it and I'm back in business! Thanks again for your help.
            Regards,
            Pete W

Comment

Fixed

Originally posted by peteW

Got the part yesterday, installed it and I'm back in business!
              Glad to hear it, thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =