Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insinkerator disposal mounting gaskets

Warning: dumb question ahead!

I replaced my 15 year old badger (?) disposal a while ago with a new insinkerator 555ss. At the time, I installed the new unit on the old sink hardware since it appeared to just snap on without any problem.

I'm realizing now that there's two gaskets in place now, and wonder if anyone can help figure out what I should do at this point. There are no leaks, but the upper gasket is starting to come apart

What's installed appears to be:
    - old sink mounting flange
    - old "fingered" gasket
    - new fingered gasket - assuming that was part of the new disposal?

Does anyone know if the OLD gaskets were part of the sink hardware 15 years ago? Seems like the new ones snap into the top of the disposals?

Or is the old gasket just stuck to the sink hardware, and I got lucky with the fact that i could attach the 555ss "over" the old gasket?

I have the sink mounting flange for the newer unit, so maybe the best step is to yank out the old one, remove the extra gasket and install the sink hardware that came with the 55522 disposal? It doesn't appear to have a way to attach a gasket to the mounting flange, and I don't have one sitting around with the flange.

Would I be wise to get a new gasket for the unit at the same time?

Thanks

** Does anyone know if the OLD gaskets were part of the sink hardware 15 years ago? **

The splash guard (aka "fingered" gasket) usually mounts directly onto the top of the disposal on ISE disposal models. When the unit is removed, it should usually stay with it, not the sink flange.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan. the old flange that's in the sink isn't nearly as deep as the current one. Maybe the old model had the gasket stuck to the bottom of the flange and all of that fit inside the gasket of the new one when I slapped it up onto the mounting bracket? I didn't have to change the bracket for the new disposal, and didn't think about it at the time.

Guess I'll rip out the old one and put in the newer flange at this point.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =