Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whirlpool Ice maker Water Fill won't stop...

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Ice maker Water Fill won't stop...

I've got a whilrpool, model # ED5LHAXML10, and about a week ago, I was down sleeping on the couch, when I woke up at 4am hearing water dripping in the kitchen. I realized, in my 1/2 awake state, that it was the ice maker filling up, and almost went back to sleep. Then I realized that I don't usually get woken up by that sound, and that something sounded a bit different...

I got up and looked, and I found a good size puddle forming in front of my fridge as the water fill spout in the ice maker was stuck "on" and the water was overflowing and running down through my freezer and out onto the floor.

After messing with it for a few minutes, I finally just reached my fingers up in where the water fill tray for ice making is, and it shut off. So, I assume some switch had failed to be triggered to turn it off, and that after shoving my fingers around, I finally snapped it back to reality and it turned itself off?

I've read though that many fridges simply have a timer for this function, which makes me think that perhaps this is a valve issue, even though the fridge is just 2 years old.

Right now, the ice maker won't work at all, the water never fills now. I've double-checked the water fill hose and it's not frozen or clogged. I've turned off power to reset the fridge, as was suggested by a friend, and waited a full 24 hours, and still no ice.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

the bail in the ice bucket has a cam that hits a switch in the off as well as harvest position. could be you broke this cam off. it initiates the timer for fill and freeze.

Comment

"bail in the ice bucket"....?

I'm sorry, I don't know what the "bail" is. ? How can I check this? I don't know how it would've broken, I haven't tried taking anything apart, etc.

thanks,

Comment

go to the site www dot repairclinic dot com and enter your information on the refrigerator. this will bring up all the parts on the refer. the "bail" is that metal piece of wire that moves up and down to check the "fill" of the ice hopper. manually moving this bail upward until it clicks stops the ice making.

Comment

ok, thanks, I'll see what I can find out there.

Comment

So, I don't find any reference anywhere to any sort of bail, do you have any pictures of what it would look like, or where I should check to find these cams you're talking about? Are they in the door somewhere?
            Last edited by SKondris; 06-20-2007, 01:02 AM.

Comment

It is the 'bail arm' (aka 'shut off arm'). Although not the same icemaker as used on your fridge (it uses Whirlpool's modular i/m design), you can see a representation of that arm at the following link:

LINK > Whirlpool Compact Crescent-Mold Icemaker

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com
              The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

thanks for the pic, unfortunately, the arm it shows "in down/on position" doesn't exist in my icemaker.

I took it all apart and can't find anything wrong with it, outside of one tab on the end of the "cam"/cap for the arm with all the teeth that pushes the ice out once it's ready to be dispensed.

And from what I can tell, the cog that sits on it still works just fine, so I don't think it should be affecting its performance at all.

Nothing else seems wrong. :shrug:

From that page you linked, it sounds like these modular ice makers often fail within a year or so though, and we've had our two years, is it just time for a new one perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by SKondris

unfortunately, the arm it shows "in down/on position" doesn't exist in my icemaker.
                  You're right. On your model there is an electronic control in the freezer wall which detects when the ice bin is full and shuts off power to it. That control might be defective.

There is also this from the owner's manual:
                  Originally posted by Whirlpool manual

Turning the Ice Maker On/Off

The ON/OFF switch is located on the top right-hand side of the freezer compartment.
                  To turn on the ice maker, slide the control to the ON (left) position.
                  To manually turn off the ice maker, slide the control to the OFF (right) position.

NOTE: Your ice maker has an automatic shutoff. The ice maker sensors will automatically stop ice production, but the control will remain in the ON (left) position.

From that page you linked, it sounds like these modular ice makers often fail within a year or so though, and we've had our two years
                  They can, but don't necessarily *have to*. Also, the ones being manufactured in recent years are slightly better than their original production.

[perhaps] is it just time for a new one?
                  That is a possibility. If the icemaker is getting power but not working, that would make it likely. The one used on your model is not the 'run of the mill' icemaker though and as such is more expensive than most:

LINK > Whirlpool ED5LHAXML10 Replacement Icemaker

If it is not even getting power, than its power supply would need to be looked into.

JMO

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

yeah, it's getting power.

What are the odds that the valve might be messed up? Does the water fill line to the icemaker use a separate valve from that of the water spout for filling cups?

I can get water out to fill up a cup, but the ice tray's not filling.

And remember, it did that weird thing where it wouldn't shut off and was overflowing, then just never worked again after that.

Comment

What are the odds that the valve might be messed up?
                      I have no idea of the actual failure rate of that components compared to other possibilities, sorry. They do need to be replaced from time to time.

Does the water fill line to the icemaker use a separate valve from that of the water spout for filling cups?
                      A single valve can consist of multiple sections, each functioning individually. That is usually the case of fridges with both an icemaker and water dispenser.

LINK > ED5LHAXML10 'Dual' Water Valve

I can get water out to fill up a cup
                      How exactly??

but the ice tray's not filling.
                      If the water valve for the icemaker is working and allowing water to pass it en route to the icemaker but something is stopping it along the way, the fill tube to the icemaker may have frozen closed and need to be thawed.

And remember, it did that weird thing where it wouldn't shut off and was overflowing, then just never worked again after that.
                      I have no idea what that was all about nor whether it has anything to do with your current problem. I can't see anything to do with leaking affecting operation of the icemaker.

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

well, there are two water lines, on that comes from the top into my ice maker, that fills the ice maker (this is the one that overflowed and has stopped working), and then one that comes up through the door from the bottom, this is the one that I can use to fill up my glass with water to drink.

I'm pretty sure the water fill line isn't frozen, I pulled it down out of the top of the freezer a few inches, and ran a pipe cleaner up it and it didn't get blocked at all, etc.

Comment

there are two water lines, one that comes from the top into my ice maker... one that comes up through the door from the bottom
                          Yes, two separate systems, each controlled by a different side of the same water valve.

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

ok, so is there any easy way to check and see if my valve is broken?

Comment

so is there any easy way to check and see if my valve is [defective]?
                              If either solenoid coil of the water fill valve was open (had infinite resistance), it would definitely be defective. Checking the icemaker side would likely be a first step a technician might make.

JMO

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =