Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Compactor Modification

I have a Whirlpool trash compactor model # TU800SPPQZ.
    My question is : can I modify this compactor by adding
    switches, etc. to gain the extra pack feature of the more expensive
    models? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

my thoughts are that if there were extra travel in the ram you might be able to modify it but you'd be compromising the safety of the unit. a term I have grown to respect is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Comment

next question

Would it be possible to add a switch that would have the ram stay in the extended position (ram down) once it stalls until I decide (by switching back) to allow it to return to home position?

Comment

send me the schematic of the unit.

Comment

schematic

Thanx for the replies Hayzee518. I am unable to supply any schematics.
          They didn't come with the product and the internet has yielded nada.
          I have a background in basic electronics and was hoping that someone
          knew the (what I assume are ) the minor differences between the compactors
          that stop at motor stall (extra pac) and the basic ones that reverse motion
          at stall. I feel there isn't a whole lot involved here. Will keep looking. Thank you.

Comment

I'm only speaking from experience with hydraulics in those large compactors you see at industrial places. I'm assuming they are more less the same. On some you have a multi section piston, some have a full length piston. there's a pressure switch in the hydraulics that trip after a number of psi detected. there's also a current relay set for the current draw [at stall] of the motor. In simple machines there's a lever type microswitch at the end of ram travel. if your unit is of the screw type then a current relay and a rotary limit switch would be employed. I'll do some checking, maybe I can find out something.

Comment

I went searching at [www dot repairclinic dot com] for your model and a general description of a trash compactor. Most the ones I seen use two lead screws on a ram. they are powered from a motor that looks similar to one used in a washing machine. RPMs might be less, however. They use a drive chain off the motor to the lead screws. There is a limit switch that indicates to the motor that the ram is at its uppermost length of travel. I didn't see any down limit travel switches, so I'd have to assume there is a current specific relay used. At repair clinic - look at stock number 680208 - for $16.95 they have a service manual.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =