Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Refrigerator overfills ice maker with water

Need some help please, I have a Frigidaire Refrigerator, Model
    FRT18KRGD1 that I think is overfilling the water in the ice maker on some cycles. The ice bucket is filling with ice but the bottom 2/3 of it is frozen solid. I watched it cycle a couple of times but it worked correctly, the residents there say that sometimes they notice the filling of water sounds longer than other times. I replaced the solenoid valve about 3 years ago for a different problem (not opening), what tells the solenoid how long to be open? or any other ideas?

Thanks a lot, Jim
    Last edited by brooksjp; 08-01-2007, 08:30 PM.

Water supply

Originally posted by brooksjp

what tells the solenoid how long to be open?
    The icemaker.

any other ideas?
    I can't see how the icemaker would power the water valve for the right length of time sometimes but not others (although it may not be totally outside the realm of possibility).

I think a more likely possibility may be that the icemaker water valve is just not always closing tightly after the icemaker discontinues power to it, allowing more water to 'leak' into the icemaker. The valve not closing tightly can be caused by insufficient water pressure to the valve.

The water supply to the fridge should be checked for blockages and/or kinks. Blockages could included a plugged sediment screen at the water valve or at the water valve on the house water pipe, or an in-line or internal water filter that needs replacing. If a self-piercing type 'saddle valve' was used for the fridge's water supply or any type of saddle valve was mounted on the underside of a horizontal pipe, it would be a prime suspect. Its aperture can partially close off from sediment, lime or scale build-up in it.

Only a drill type saddle valve should be used (if not a regular plumbing tap) and only installed on the side of a vertical pipe or top of a horizontal pipe.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Frigidaire Refrigerator overfills ice maker with water

Thanks Dan O, I'll check it out later today. One other thing I noticed after my 1st post is on the front of the ice maker are 2 nylon/plastic gears. When the signal to dump the ice happens the gears attempt to rotate but have a problem at 1st. They try to turn but appear to slip and click back in place about 8-10 times before they actually start rotating. Seems like it is seeing resistence at beginning of the dump cycle?

Thanks, Jim

Comment

on the front of the ice maker are 2 nylon/plastic gears. When the signal to dump the ice happens the gears attempt to rotate but have a problem at 1st. They try to turn but appear to slip and click back in place about 8-10 times before they actually start rotating. Seems like it is seeing resistance at beginning of the dump cycle?
        There is a heater built into the bottom in the ice mould that is turned on to loosen the cubes prior to harvesting. If it wasn't being energized, the 'rake/ejector' couldn't push them out. The only other possibility I can think of is maybe gear(s) are worn and just slipping?

You can see an exploded part view of that model's icemaker at the following link:

LINK > Frigidaire FRT18KRGD1 Exploded Parts Views

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Frigidaire Ice Maker

It doesnt look like they are worn, just seems like at beginning of the cycle there is much resistence. Could the ice mold heater fail to activate at the right time sometimes. If it didn't activate and succsessfully empty the ice mold at all would it continue to fill with water for next cycle and possibly overflow into collection bucket? What tells the heater when and how long to activate?

Thanks, Jim

Comment

Could the ice mold heater fail to activate at the right time sometimes.
            If the electrical contacts for the heater were bad, the heater might fail to energize but again, being intermittent would be unusual IMO. If the contacts were bad, they should always be bad?

If it didn't activate and successfully empty the ice mold at all would it continue to fill with water for next cycle and possibly overflow into collection bucket?
            If the ice was never harvested, yes, a new fill would cause the ice mould to overflow. But if the rake couldn't go though its proper motions, it would either have to be stripped or it should stop the rest of the icemaker's functions.

What tells the heater when and how long to activate?
            A motor turns a set of gears which turns a cam that activated a set of electric switches.

BTW. If you didn't want to get involved with the internals of the icemaker itself, the site I linked to does list a replacement icemaker as a complete assembly which is available.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =