Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conpressor only runs a few seconds on fridge

Hi, I am a new user. I have a Whirlpool refridgerator model: ET18GKXFW00, and just tonight it stopped working. I have pulled the bottom metal panel, and the fan does run, but the compressor will only kick in for about 5-10 seconds and stops, it does this every minute or so. I need help with this ASAP, I don't know alot about refridgerators, but if it is something I can tear out and replace with a newly ordered part, I'd like to do it myself, as I don't have much money to spend having somone come out and repair it.

Please help, my ice cream treats are melting

Compressor clicking

Hi,

Originally posted by tonkpils_555666_slipknot

Whirlpool refrigerator model: ET18GKXFW00, the compressor will only kick in for about 5-10 seconds and stops
    That could be caused by a problem in the compressor's starting relay or overload protector (see the following link) or a problem in the compressor itself... assuming nothing has changed in its power supply (added extension cord, etc.) which might just be hampering the compressor's operation.

LINK > Whirlpool ET18GKXFW00 Relay/Overload

if it is something I can tear out and replace with a newly ordered part, I'd like to do it myself
    Replacing parts is usually the easy part, the hard part is determining the problem accurately, which often requires specialized tools.

PS. It is not a good idea to allow a compressor to continue to click on and off. Once you hear it, turn the fridge off or disconnect power from it for 10-15 minutes. If the compressor doesn't start right up after that, leave the fridge off until it can be service. Allowing the compressor to continue to click on and off can damage the compressor (if it isn't already the cause of the symptom).

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, I tried unplugging it for 15 min. and when plugged back in it did the same thing, rean about 10 seconds, shut off for about a minute, and ran again for 10 seconds. It looks like I'll be cleaning it out pretty quick here, where is the starting relay/overload protector located? I assume it's behind the black cover on the compressor.

Comment

the current overload is under the cover. it looks like a pretty hefty coil wound wire copper wire. if its tripping out on over current then the compressor is locked up, the capacitor is bad or there is a lack of freon. you can't add freon yourself. the service tech MUST have an EPA certification

Comment

Originally posted by tonkpils_555666_slipknot

where is the starting relay/overload protector located? I assume it's behind the black cover on the compressor.
          Yes. The relay and overload are what the wires attach to at the compressor.

Originally posted by HayZee518

the current overload is under the cover. it looks like a pretty hefty coil wound wire copper wire.
          The relay would be the part with the visible coil of wire although few refrigerators use such a relay design in recent years. Most refrigerator these days (in the past 10-15 years) use a solid state relay which looks similar to the one I linked to.

if its tripping out on over current then the compressor is locked up, the capacitor is bad or there is a lack of freon.
          The OP's refrigerator doesn't use a start capacitor for the compressor so that can not be their problem. Lack of refrigerant will also not affect running of a refrigerator compressor, it will happily pump plain air if you allow it... until it seizes up from lack of oil.

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =