Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got in to the local parts store, all they carry "anymore" is a 3 in 1 START, relay overload start capacitor combo.

It was pretty simple to hook up, other than the fact that the compressor has no labeling whatsoever on it as to which color wire goes where..........nor do the directions. However, it does show a small drawing on the directions, I assume with the capacitor facing up, a circle with three dots with the common (black) at the top, start (white) at the left and run (red) at the right.

I replaced as instructed. Upon replugging the refrigerator made a distinct startup sound like a washing machine starting to spin. However, now it's been running for quite some time (about 15 min) and no change whatsoever in temperature in either the freezer or the fridge.
    I still seem to still hear the tone, although it's much quieter now. The 'gurgling dragon' has left the building.

Waiting to see if anything improves..................
    Last edited by jeffpas; 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Well, four and a half hours and the hi pitched hum and gurgling are both gone, refrigerator running like normal (lights, fans regular noise). But both refrig and freezer remain at a stubborn 61 degrees, same as when it was off.

I can only assume it is the compressor and therefore the box is trashed.
      Will give it until tomorrow and then possibly make burial arrangements.......let me know if anyone has any ideas.
      Last edited by jeffpas; 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I pulled the refrigerator out, and felt the compressor, it's even hotter than it was yesterday. I unplugged the refrigerator.

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion out there if Frigidaire refrigerators are junk? I have been reading EOpinions and seen many of them get very low ratings (like 1 Star).

Is a Frigidaire by default a 'crappier' refrigerator than say, a Whirlpool?
          I have noticed also that they tend to be cheaper priced. I realize of course you get what you pay for, (and most U.S. appliances I assume nowadays are made on the cheap in Mexico or China by virtual slave labor) but there is I assume something to be said about brand names.

? ? ?

The irony of this is I'm looking at another Frigidaire at Lowe's ($598, which is about all I can afford) which also matches my newer Frigidaire dishwasher. It is an FRT18IL6DM. I don't see reviews on it anywhere.
          I could pick up a low end Whirlpool for about $600, which doesn't match, or tighten the belt and eat warm food until I can save up a grand or two for some other brand. I don't need anything fancy, just a freezer and refrigerator.

I noticed Consumer Reports "not for profit" site now requires your credit card and automatic payment schedule set up just to read one of their reviews.............very nice
          Last edited by jeffpas; 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM.

Comment

** [installed] 3 in 1 combo... the compressor, it's even hotter than it was yesterday. **

Are you sure it was wired in properly? A hot compressor could very well result if it wasn't.

** Frigidaire refrigerators are junk? **

I wouldn't say that.

** Is a Frigidaire by default a 'crappier' refrigerator than say, a Whirlpool? **

Every manufacturer's products experience problems at some time but I don't know any company's products that I would paint with a single brush colored "crappy".

** I noticed Consumer Reports "not for profit" site now requires your credit card and automatic payment schedule set up just to read one of their reviews **

It always has had fees AFAIK besides the few articles they make available for viewing as samples. You could always go to the library and look up previous printed issues for free?

BTW. No one buying their magazines (because they can get the same information online for free) and no online income = NO Consumer Reports.

** another Frigidaire matches my newer dishwasher. **

I myself likely wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing a run of the mill Frigidaire (nor Whirlpool) refrigerator. You'll have to make up your own mind.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

* Are you sure it was wired in properly? A hot compressor could very well result if it wasn't. *

This was too much to resist.
              First I looked all over the web for a schematic of an FPI-16TCL-0 compressor. Finding nothing, I looked for a schematic for ANY Frigidaire compressor. The ones I found didn't give much indisputable proof as to which colored wires go to which pins. One sight said smugly, "Take care: The common pin is not always the top pin."

So, I tried every combination imagineable, starting with B->R->W, B->W->R, W->R->B, W->B->R, B->R->W, R->W->B. All of them either blew hot air continuously or tripped the fuse.

I find it hard to imagine why no one would feel like stamping a B, R, and W, next to the three pins on the compressor. Especially since every schematic I could find made reference to Black, Red and White wires. Or even C, S, and R, for common, start, and run. I did find one that said "C", "S", and "M" ("M" meaning, "mrun", of course.)

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo...5995344107.pdf

That combination blew a fuse.

Doesn't look good. Well, rest assured my 3 in 1 Starter unit will make a nice paperweight. Maybe I can make it into a stick figure, with wire legs......oh well. I don't think they will take it back now.

Well I'm glad to hear not all Frigidaires are bad. I do have a classic model here which anyone can have for free. Would make an excellent shelving unit, planter or cabinet. Just come and pick it up!

jeffpas
              Last edited by jeffpas; 11-30-2007, 03:41 AM.

Comment

** "M" ("M" meaning, "mrun", of course.) **

M for "main" (aka. the run winding).

** I find it hard to imagine why no one would feel like stamping a B, R, and W, next to the three pins on the compressor. **

You'd have to ask the compressor manufacturer (which is not Frigidaire BTW). None of the domestic compressor manufacturers do. Of course, if you were installing the manufacturer's suggested replacement part, it would be a mute point?

** The ones I found didn't give much indisputable proof as to which colored wires go to which pins. **

Because that would depend on what make of compressor was installed and even which compressor model from that particular manufacturer it was. Some compressor manufactures have used multiple terminal configurations even on their own compressors.

Oh well, good luck with your new one. At least any new model you buy today should be considerably more energy efficient than the one you had.

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =