Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenmore Free Standing Ice Maker-Need Help!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Free Standing Ice Maker-Need Help!!

I have a Kenmore Free Standing Ice Maker,(model no. per book is 2217243). I had water coming out of my ceiling from the upstairs bathroom and had to turn the water off for @ 24 hrs.
    Since then, water runs thru and is cold, but will not freeze. Also, I cleaned the machine with cleaner ordered from Sears and turned the machine on overnight to make ice. Next morning, no ice and inside felt hot. Can anyone help me?
    I tried looking for parts, etc. on Sears website (purchased from Sears), but it said there were no parts available.
    Thanks for any help!

Complete model number wanted

** model no. per book is 2217243 **

That model number is incomplete. If you get the actual model number from the appliance's model and serial number tag, we can at least find out whom made it for Sears.

** Next morning, no ice and inside felt hot. Can anyone help me? **

Is the unit's compressor running? No cooling can take place without it.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Free standing ice maker - not making Ice

• I purchased a used Kenmore Elite Free-standing Ice Maker (106. 89482991). it's been sitting for quite a few months and once we hooked it up today, it went through a cleaning cycle with a lot of water coming out of the drain.
      • It then went into regular ice making mode and continued to drain a lot of water and no ice was produced.
      • I think the compressor is coming on but the unit does not seem to be getting very cold inside the storage area for the ice.
      Thanks for any help.

Louise

Comment

Ice machine not cooling

** I think the compressor is coming on **

It will be very important to find out for certain.

** but the unit does not seem to be getting very cold inside **

If the compressor IS definitely running but the unit is NOT cooling properly, either the compressor may be internally defective or the unit may be out of refrigerant. Special tools would be required to determine which and either is likely to be a fairly expensive repair ($150+).

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Circulation Pump may be the issue

My brother has been investigating and found the Circulation pump to be in bad shape, it was seized at first, but he did get the shaft moving again. So he would like to know - if the circulation pump was NOT working would the ice maker exhibit the behavior I described in my earlier post, but not in this much detail?
          - draining water into he reservoir
          - waiting a bit
          - then dumping more water
          - overflowing the reservoir causing the water to drain ( we where running the drain to a bucket to investigate what was happening and it seemed it was dumping about 1-2 quarts of water ever 5-10 minutes).

He confirmed water was not reaching the freezing plate. (I forgot to ask if the plate was cold.).

thanks for the help

Louise

Comment

the only free standing ice maker I've worked on was a Scotsman. there was a recirculator which sprayed water on inverted cups (which is the freezer plate) after a time delay a reversing valve actuated which reversed the flow of freon to what is called a hot gas defrost. the formed cubes fell out of the freezer plate into the harvest bucket. some recirculators just flow water over a freezer plate gradually building up a sheet of ice. after a time delay, the hot gas was actuated and the ice sheet slid onto a grid wire which was heated and this cut the sheet into cubes which went into the harvest bucket and the cycle started over. the freezer plate will not be cold at all times, just when you are calling to make ice.

Comment

Originally posted by lcraig

if the circulation pump was NOT working would the ice maker exhibit the behaviour I described in my earlier post
              I'm afraid I do not have experience working on ice machines just icemakers. I do not know if what was described would occur in such a case or not, sorry. The page at the following link might help in servicing it:

LINK > Repairing the Whirlpool Ice Machine

BTW. Your model was built for Sears by Whirlpool.

I forgot to ask if the plate was cold.
              That is definitely one thing that should be found out. If the water isn't freezing I might expect leaking problems.

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
              Last edited by Dan O.; 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks, this is just what I needed!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =