Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Dryer humming

My gas dryer started humming this morning when you start it up. If I open the door it stops, I close the door and about 5 seconds later you hear the gas flame ignite. If I open the door again the flame shuts off. What should be my next step?

Make/Model number??

My gas dryer
    What is its brand name and model number so we can look up what appliance design you're dealing with?

started humming this morning when you start it up.
    Humming from where on the machine exactly?

Was it running??

If I open the door it stops
    Just about everything in a dryer that is powered will stop when the door is opened.

I close the door and about 5 seconds later you hear the gas flame ignite.
    Even before the dryer is running????

What should be my next step?
    1. Post the product identification information.

2. Identify exactly where any strange sounds are coming from.

3. Describe the symptoms more accurately or in more detail.

If you can supply that information we'll see if we can suggest possible cause(s) or a course of action.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The make and model are:

Whirlpool Ultimate Care Heavy duty

Model: LGL8858EQ0

The humming comes from the bottom, it sounds like. Now when I close the door and even though the machine is not on, I hear the flame ignite. Not wanting to leave it that way, I am leaving the door in the open position for now. The machine is not running, when you hit the button to start, the humming starts
      I opened the back of the dryer and the front, the belt is still intact, not broken or loose. The motor shaft still spins ok, any other items I should check?
      Last edited by rennyboy; 02-14-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Motor problem?

Whirlpool [dryer] model LGL8858EQ0
        Good.

The humming comes from the bottom
        Maybe from the motor?? There shouldn't be too much else toward the base of the dryer which could be responsible for sounds. It's either that or maybe the gas burner assembly.

The machine is not running, when you hit the button to start, the humming starts
        Yes, that is likely the motor trying to run but failing... for whatever reason.

when I close the door and even though the machine is not on, I hear the flame ignite.
        There should a separate contact in the dryer motor's switch for the heater circuit. That contact should remain open until the motor is running and up to speed. The heater should not be energized without the motor running.

Maybe the motor's switch is internally defective allowing the heater to be on when it shouldn't and also preventing the motor from running? If its actuation mechanism isn't just jammed up with lint, etc., the motor might need to be replaced.

LINK > Whirlpool LGL8858EQ0 Dryer Motor

when I close the door and even though the machine is not on, I hear the flame ignite. I am leaving the door in the open position for now.
        I would suggest you go one step further and actually unplug the machine until it can be looked into. Better safe than sorry?

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =