Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenn-Air Oven Questions

I have a couple questions about a Jenn-Air SVD48600 oven.

First, the range is designed so that the downdraft fan turns on automatically whenever either of the left two burners are lit. This is very annoying, because the downdraft fan sucks a lot of the burner heat away, and makes it very difficult to cook dishes that require a lot of heat. Is there any way to override this feature, and only turn the downdraft fan on when I need it?

Second, I would like to swap out the range burners with higher BTU burners. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Quinn

Well, I fixed the first problem. There is a small lever switch that can easily move out of position. When the range-top grill is installed, the switch does not get actuated and the fan automatically turns on. But, when the gas burner module is installed, the switch is actuated and the fan control is manual. Simply repositioning this switch solved my fan problem.

I am still hoping to find out if I can swap out my existing gas burners with higher BTU burners. Any help on this, or suggestions for how I can get more heat out of my existing burners, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Quinn

Comment

Burner heat

** Jenn-Air SVD48600 [range] **

JFYI. Not that we need it right now but that model number is incomplete. You can find tips for locating the actual model and serial number identification tag *on your appliances* at the following link:

- Model Number Tag Search
      LINK > Appliance411: Repair Parts: Appliance Model Number Tag Search

** I am still hoping to find out if I can swap out my existing gas burners with higher BTU burners. **

It is not the burners that are responsible for the heat generated, it is the burner orifices which limit gas flow to them. And no, you can usually only get the orifices that were originally designed for the range (or their propane equivalent). Making the burners heat more than they were designed to can affect other parts of the appliance.

BTW. Someone related that they attempted to do that for the grill burner of a Jenn Air unit and ended up actually melting the cast aluminium cooking grates right into 2-2" thick Kobe stakes worth $50@ while cooking them. Needless to say he wasn't happy with the outcome.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

same model oven, different question

We own a SVD48600B, serial # 22068184WS which we've had about 7 years. It's converted to propane, but now natural gas is becoming available in our area. We'd like to convert (revert?) to natural gas from the propane, but cannot find much on the web about it other than this great site. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

LP *to* Natural Gas range conversion

Originally posted by jemphd

[Jenn-Air model] SVD48600B, serial # 22068184WS. It's converted to propane, but now we'd like to convert (revert?) to natural gas
          When converted originally the original valve orifices and instructions should have been kept with the range. Try looking near its main gas supply and the range's regulator.

If not, you may have to contact Maytag/Whirlpool support to ask if an LP to natural gas conversion kit is available as one is not listed in its parts list. Failing that, asking for the part numbers of the individual natural gas orifices might suffice.

You can see what the kit should consist of and also read the conversion instructions for a slightly newer but comparable range model at the following links.

LINK > SVD48600B Natural to LP Conversion Kit

LINK > SVD48600C/SVD48600P Installation and Conversion Instructions

If you are able to get the part number of a LP to natural gas conversion kit for your model, post it here in case someone else comes looking for that information as well.

PS. Such a conversion should be done by a licensed gas fitter.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =